hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

natty01

5 Year Member
hi

today i have built a mountain in my indoor enclosure, its made from top soil and the top is under the basking lamp.
also in the enclosure are two little cardboard boxes that they sleep in at night .
ive read how russians like to dig and burry themself in the soil, and they certainly do outside , ive also read that digging a burrow in the soil is good for there shell as its more humid.
so should i take out the boxes so they burrow in the mountain ?
personally i feel this is a good idea since its way more natural than a cardboard box and i know they can both burrow as they do it outside under the geraniums .
what do the experts think?. the other plus is it will give me more room to plant some plants in the corner.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I think you should leave both and let them choose. The main thing is that you are giving them the option.
They seem to know what they need, and never do what we think they should do! :rolleyes:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
are they little or grown? if they are little you can do a starter hole in the tortoise mountain and see what they do with your starter...but I would provide a second hide for them so that they can hide and then go back to work....LOL :D

natty01

5 Year Member
they are 3 inches . they really like there skinny box . i will leave it in for the time being as they havent dug a burrow yet.

ascott said:
are they little or grown? if they are little you can do a starter hole in the tortoise mountain and see what they do with your starter...but I would provide a second hide for them so that they can hide and then go back to work....LOL :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They do like tight, low spaces to sleep in. Don't be surprised if they don't make a proper burrow in the middle where you think they should. Even if they don't, it makes a nice variation and sight block for them.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I have 3 hides in my outdoor enclosure and Boulder alternates between 2 of them and a hibiscus plant he likes to hang out under. I think more is better so they can decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.