Hiding question

Court562

I just got an 8 month Lepord tortoise delivered by FedEx yesterday. I noticed around 8 last night she went into her hide log and didn't come out until the morning. I actually removed her from the hide so I could give her a warm bath and feed her. She ate VERY well, and ran around her cage for about 30 minutes or so then went back into hiding. Is she doing this because she's scared and In a new environment or is something wrong? I've maintained 80% humidity since I have her entire set up covered in instalation and have been misting her coconut coir a few times a day, along with misting the glass on her terrarium. Her temps are 93 on the hot side, and 82 on the cool. I saw overnight it dropped to 77 degrees with 88% humidity. In the picture below I didn't have a water dish, but I've added one since and seen her drink from it. Is this normal? What would you guys recommend?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
you want it to stay in the 80s with high humiity or you risk respiratory infection and it's normal for babies/small torts to hide in the wild that's pretty much all they do or they would fall victim to predators

that tank is only going to work for so long your gonna need to go bigger much bigger eventually

GingerLove

5 Year Member
In my opinion, that's absolutely normal!! My tortoise actually took two months before she felt she could come out in the open and even sleep out in the open. I also discovered that when I got a larger cage, she came out more often because she wanted to explore. However, I think your tortoise might just be shy for a little while.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
While it is safe to pull her out I would only do so for a reason. Feeding , soaking, your viewing pleasure. I would keep its natural rhythms in mind too. Don't pull it out ,to watch, in the evening when its natural for it to be sleeping.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Maybe Lyn could help you: she has a leopard tortoise.:tort: