Higher CHE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maricopa, AZ
I currently have a 60 watt CHE on a thermostat set to 81. It works great during the day with the lights on, but I noticed the temp this morning was 75! I want to get a higher power CHE so it doesn't drop below 80, but I'm debating between getting the 100 watt and the 150.

The 100 would probably be sufficient for the aquarium they are in now, but I'm thinking of getting the 150 since I'll be moving them into something bigger in the near future. Can having that high power of a CHE hurt anything in a smaller enclosure even though I have it running on a thermostat?

Thanks!
Kristin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are a lot of variables to consider. I prefer to use the minimum wattage possible. If you do go with the 150, check the temp directly below it after its been on for an hour or more. Those things can produce A LOT of heat. You might need to just get another 60 and spread that wattage and heat between two points. This is what I do in my 4x8' enclosures. I use two 60 watt CHEs on opposite ends of the enclosures to maintain ambient because it would be much too hot directly underneath just one 150.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I have a 150W up high in my 4 ft by 6 ft topped enclosure. It's been staying at 81 in the entire enclosure with 80% humidity and I haven't had to add more water to the substrate or turn on the humidifier in a day! When I turn on the MVB I turn the CHE down to 1/4 (it's on a dial since the thermostat we're programming isn't debugged yet).

So far with just a 150W CHE and an MVB I've been keeping humidity above 75 consistently and the temps between 78 and 84.

Like said before, if you have the thermostat go for the higher wattage.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Get the higher wattage, and put it on a dimmer. Then you can have any wattage.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I also prefer a lower wattage. I use a 75 watt. My temp directly under is 90 and it spreads to 80 in the corners.the CHE is about18 inches above the substrate.
Id suggest you try a75 or a second 60.
If you get the 100 or 150 check your temps directly under to make sure you don't have a super hot spot

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Thank you for the input everyone! I think I'm going to go for the 100 watt. I don't want to overdo it with the 150, but don't want to fit another dome in my current setup. I'll be sure to raise it up a bit and check the temps, etc.

Thanks again everyone!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have 2 150 watt CHE in my outdoor redfoot box that is in the garage that are on dimmers and dont have them both on all the time. Inside setup for radiated smaller setup at night I have 2 60 watt CHE at seperate ends of the enclosure to balance out the temp

Status
Not open for further replies.