I need advice on my setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bannana

5 Year Member
I have changed up my enclosure and would like some advice on how it looks. From left to right I have a 100 watt Che a 75 watt basking light that I currently am debating whether or not to use and then a 100 watt basking light.based on the temps should I use the extra 75 watts?ImageUploadedByTortForum1373593804.494959.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373593843.429193.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373593853.401940.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help with lights, etc, I don't know what species you have. However, I don't see a hide.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
That looks a little too bright. No hides or places to retreat to will also exacerbate things. Also, don't completely rely on those dial type thermometers/hygrometers. Do you have other tools to measure temps? If you're still worried about adding half logs or other hides due to flipping hazards, add big, fluffy clumps of new zealand sphagnum moss that your guy can bury himself into.

bannana

5 Year Member
pfara said:
That looks a little too bright. No hides or places to retreat to will also exacerbate things. Also, don't completely rely on those dial type thermometers/hygrometers. Do you have other tools to measure temps? If you're still worried about adding half logs or other hides due to flipping hazards, add big, fluffy clumps of new zealand sphagnum moss that your guy can bury himself into.

Unfortunately my other electronic thernometer broke so right now I have to use the dial type but when I get to the pet store I will get a better one. If it is to bright how am I supposed to keep the temps up? As for hide yes I am very scared of him flipping but I do happen to have some New Zealand moss!

wellington said:
I can't help with lights, etc, I don't know what species you have. However, I don't see a hide.

Yellowfoot

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
An enclosure with no hides or any kind of substance (plants, hills, different textures) is more likely to make your tortoise bored, causing them to try and crawl up the sides very often, and will definitely lead to flipping over if the tortoise is persistent enough. The CHE will keep the enclosure warm and dark (depending on your specific tortoise breed, follow the guidelines for minimum and maximum temps). I have followed a general rule that should be a light gradient to accompany the temperature gradient, mimicking shaded areas as cooler and bright areas as warmer. If you're afraid of your tortoise climbing on top of a half log hide, than simply put a rectangular one in it's place. I believe many people use plastic shoe boxes for humid hides, and their tortoises have no access to climb on top of it. The sphagnum moss can go inside the hide so the tortoise has something to burrow into as bedding.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
A combination of a uvb bulb and CHE should get the temps up all by themselves. That looks like a 2x3' cement mixing tub, right? That combination should heat that space enough. If that's a cool air humidifier, then try just adding the moss everywhere but keep it moist. The humidifier in such a small area might be lowering the temps too much but that's just my guess; I have no experience with using humidifiers.

I also second alyscia's use of a box-type hide. Make sure it's not translucent. The enclosure just needs more sprucing up. Could you live in a house with no furniture in it? :p

bannana

5 Year Member
alysciaingram said:
An enclosure with no hides or any kind of substance (plants, hills, different textures) is more likely to make your tortoise bored, causing them to try and crawl up the sides very often, and will definitely lead to flipping over if the tortoise is persistent enough. The CHE will keep the enclosure warm and dark (depending on your specific tortoise breed, follow the guidelines for minimum and maximum temps). I have followed a general rule that should be a light gradient to accompany the temperature gradient, mimicking shaded areas as cooler and bright areas as warmer. If you're afraid of your tortoise climbing on top of a half log hide, than simply put a rectangular one in it's place. I believe many people use plastic shoe boxes for humid hides, and their tortoises have no access to climb on top of it. The sphagnum moss can go inside the hide so the tortoise has something to burrow into as bedding.

Alright I will try to find a hide that I am comfortable with. My tortoise try's to eat any kind of plant which is why I have no plants in there maybe If there was a plant that was a dull color I could use that.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Fake plants work just as well. If you want live plants, find tort friendly plants. Grow your own in cups and sink them flush with the mulch when well established.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I plant my plants in terra-cotta pots, and burry them just low enough so my tortoises can nibble off the bottom and the rest of the plant is unharmed. Spider plant would be a good choice for you since they are very easy to regrow. Also you could plant 3-4 different plants and rotate them out, so no one plant is being devoured completely.

bannana

5 Year Member
pfara said:
A combination of a uvb bulb and CHE should get the temps up all by themselves. That looks like a 2x3' cement mixing tub, right? That combination should heat that space enough. If that's a cool air humidifier, then try just adding the moss everywhere but keep it moist. The humidifier in such a small area might be lowering the temps too much but that's just my guess; I have no experience with using humidifiers.

I also second alyscia's use of a box-type hide. Make sure it's not translucent. The enclosure just needs more sprucing up. Could you live in a house with no furniture in it? :p

The UVB and Che do not keep the temps up. You are right it is a cement mixing tub. I have the humidifier turn on so it stays around 80 all the time but it might be lowering the temps a bit.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Something is wrong if 2 heat sources can't heat up 2x3' space. I know you have the whole thing enclosed in a shower liner or plastic drop cloth which "should" retain the heat. I'm thinking it's either the humidifier or your room temp outside the enclosure. Or does the plastic liner have any holes up top?

Status
Not open for further replies.