Holiday

nikitab

I'm going away for the weekend and so my Mam will be looking after my Russian, however I'm not too sure about her picking weeds for him incase she gives him something he can't have.

Does anyone know some safe shop bought things I could buy for the weekend? In the U.K.
Any advice would be great

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
If you are going away just for the weekend, he'll actually be fine without any food. Just make sure his lights and heat are working before you go. But that probably sounds awful to you, it would to me! :)

Can you just pick some weeds ahead of time and leave them in a plastic bag for your mom? That is what I would do.

You can buy rocket (arugula) in the store; any spicy green like radiccho, chicory, endive, frisee. Watercress would be fine. If they sell bagged salads there (I'm pretty sure they do), look for something spicy, perhaps called "Italian" mix or spring mix.

You can also leave radish leaves, mustard greens, turnip tops, something like that. Just the leaves, not the vegetables.

You could even leave just a head of lettuce; one weekend won't hurt him. @JoesMum is in the UK and knows a specific brand you can buy.

ethan508

Northern Utah
Keep it simple and your caretaker should manage fine. Could you just point to a patch of one or two common plants easily identified by flower (like pansy or dandelion) and just have your Mam feed those for the weekend? It won't be the variety typically needed, but better than nothing. My kids feed the tortoises (with a bit of reminding and training) and even the 4 year old can identify mallow weeds (even if she keeps calling it clover) and knows the leaves from the grape vine are "healthy foods" for tortoises.

nikitab

Thanks! I have potted pansies I give but I'll have a shop so he has some variety for the weekend, thanks for all the help :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi @nikitab

For a weekend let your Russian slob out on the junk food. It won't matter for a few days, or even a couple of weeks.

Supermarket greens are just fine. Supply Mam with a bag of mixed salad leaves to feed. Something with darker greens leaves.

You could also leave a tray of 'living lettuce' in the enclosure for your tort to browse on. Water it well, then sink the tray into the substrate. My local supermarkets, Sainsbury's and Waitrose, both sell them for about a £1.