Holy Crap!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Yesterday was the ice storm and very low temperature so I didn't venture out. Last night the electricity was out for 2 hours, and I did worry about the torts in the shed...but....so today I figured I should feed out there...so, I wondered, can I thaw out Mary's lettuces so she won't know they are frozen??? I cooked a spaghetti squash and away I went...I saw and felt that the deck was covered in ice, can't unzip the greenhouse to check on my plants, cuz the zipper is frozen...I imagine those 2 hours got pretty cold in there...damn it! Unfortunately I could hear that little electric heater running...I reached out to the metal handrail noticing it was huge with frozen water at the same time I was stepping carefully into the snow covered stairs...holy sh*t! Not snow ICE and it was a slide. The piled ice was even with the stairs all the way down...slick, cold, frozen water and just like my workmans comp accident, the stairs weren't covered in snow, it was ice and my foot went out and I slid on my butt down the slide that usta be 7 stairs...clutching the last of the tortoise food in my arm...bang smash!! I landed at the bottom w/out breaking anything...now I'm aching and cold and pissed off...the walkway was slick with ice the pens were slick with ice and...and..then I couldn't get into the shed!!!!! the door had serious ice about 2 feet up the people door. Oh sh** I panicked now. I went to the doggie door... I have had to shimmy into that way before...before the ice...the door was buried in ice...around the other side and again that doggie door was buried in ice... All the sudden things got more serious than I thought. I am holding the last of the tortoise food and it's frozen, I have a bowl full of cooked squash and I have to feed. Oh what to do...so I walked around the house (no stairs) it was all frozen hard and dangerous for this old lady to walk on...and I slid and fumbled grabbing anything...and as I lay on the ice trying to get my breath...I saw my sister's 3 foot crow bar!!! So revived I grab it and slide my way to the shed...The damn thing is so heavy I really can't control it...but I have a large roofing hammer and I start breaking the ice...it was hard for me...but I'm Wonder Woman as far as my tortoises are concerned...so I got the door open...all the heating stuff and the basking lights and che's were all on... and it was colder than hell in there...I pulled Mary out of her sleeping box and pushed her in front of the food, she felt cold to the touch. I don't expect her to eat...the other tortoises were under basking lights but cold to the touch. I didn't take pictures cuz I'm sore...torts are cold so I brought them in am put both in the warm bath tub...to be continued

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yesterday was the ice storm and very low temperature so I didn't venture out. Last night the electricity was out for 2 hours, and I did worry about the torts in the shed...but....so today I figured I should feed out there...so, I wondered, can I thaw out Mary's lettuces so she won't know they are frozen??? I cooked a spaghetti squash and away I went...I saw and felt that the deck was covered in ice, can't unzip the greenhouse to check on my plants, cuz the zipper is frozen...I imagine those 2 hours got pretty cold in there...damn it! Unfortunately I could hear that little electric heater running...I reached out to the metal handrail noticing it was huge with frozen water at the same time I was stepping carefully into the snow covered stairs...holy sh*t! Not snow ICE and it was a slide. The piled ice was even with the stairs all the way down...slick, cold, frozen water and just like my workmans comp accident, the stairs weren't covered in snow, it was ice and my foot went out and I slid on my butt down the slide that usta be 7 stairs...clutching the last of the tortoise food in my arm...bang smash!! I landed at the bottom w/out breaking anything...now I'm aching and cold and pissed off...the walkway was slick with ice the pens were slick with ice and...and..then I couldn't get into the shed!!!!! the door had serious ice about 2 feet up the people door. Oh sh** I panicked now. I went to the doggie door... I have had to shimmy into that way before...before the ice...the door was buried in ice...around the other side and again that doggie door was buried in ice... All the sudden things got more serious than I thought. I am holding the last of the tortoise food and it's frozen, I have a bowl full of cooked squash and I have to feed. Oh what to do...so I walked around the house (no stairs) it was all frozen hard and dangerous for this old lady to walk on...and I slid and fumbled grabbing anything...and as I lay on the ice trying to get my breath...I saw my sister's 3 foot crow bar!!! So revived I grab it and slide my way to the shed...The damn thing is so heavy I really can't control it...but I have a large roofing hammer and I start breaking the ice...it was hard for me...but I'm Wonder Woman as far as my tortoises are concerned...so I got the door open...all the heating stuff and the basking lights and che's were all on... and it was colder than hell in there...I pulled Mary out of her sleeping box and pushed her in front of the food, she felt cold to the touch. I don't expect her to eat...the other tortoises were under basking lights but cold to the touch. I didn't take pictures cuz I'm sore...torts are cold so I brought them in am put both in the warm bath tub...to be continued
Glad you didn't break any bones! Good luck with the tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be careful Maggie and be sure to ALWAYS have your phone with you
I'm fighting the d**n minus temps here. All heating elements are on in the tortoise shed and it still can't stay above 70. Luckily they all have their basking areas so they will actually be warmer. I'm leaving everything on 24/7 except shed lights that only give light no heat. This really sucks! And we are stuck with minus temps until Wednesday. With wind chill we are minus 20 and 30's, some places minus 40. Don't remember ever being colder than minus 20's
Hopefully we all in this artic blast get thru with no illnesses or losses🤞

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Be careful Maggie and be sure to ALWAYS have your phone with you
I'm fighting the d**n minus temps here. All heating elements are on in the tortoise shed and it still can't stay above 70. Luckily they all have their basking areas so they will actually be warmer. I'm leaving everything on 24/7 except shed lights that only give light no heat. This really sucks! And we are stuck with minus temps until Wednesday. With wind chill we are minus 20 and 30's, some places minus 40. Don't remember ever being colder than minus 20's
Hopefully we all in this artic blast get thru with no illnesses or losses🤞
I do not use a cell phone. My phone is connected to the wall...lol stay warm...I'm about to go see if Mary ate...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This reads like a horror movie and I am truly concerned about you Maggie and all others, especially those seniors, who are fighting the snow and ice when you should be safe and warm in your house!!! Why are you trying to feed them in such dangerous conditions? They don't have to eat every day, right? Really.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This reads like a horror movie and I am truly concerned about you Maggie and all others, especially those seniors, who are fighting the snow and ice when you should be safe and warm in your house!!! Why are you trying to feed them in such dangerous conditions? They don't have to eat every day, right? Really.
Tammy. You'd be doing the same thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just saw Jim Cantore in Chicago. And I thought he only did Hurricanes!
If I had a choice, I wouldn't be here in Chicago right now or when he was. He's nuts! Between the snow and minus temps and wind gust 30-50 mph, it's a B*t*h! Having this crap until Wednesday.
No other place I want to live though, only visit, like now.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If I had a choice, I wouldn't be here in Chicago right now or when he was. He's nuts! Between the snow and minus temps and wind gust 30-50 mph, it's a B*t*h! Having this crap until Wednesday.
No other place I want to live though, only visit, like now.
It is my responsibility to take care of those animals, snow, sleet, frozen...or 90 degrees...They had already been 3 days without food and my tortoises are very spoiled...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is my responsibility to take care of those animals, snow, sleet, frozen...or 90 degrees...They had already been 3 days without food and my tortoises are very spoiled...
Oh I absolutely believe it is your responsibility, and didn't say it wasn't, that's a Tammy's thing. Yes, a daily one responsibility, no matter the weather. I have to do the same for my tortoises and chickens. But you should have a phone with you just in case.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I do not use a cell phone. My phone is connected to the wall...lol stay warm...I'm about to go see if Mary ate...
You could get a Panasonic (or other make) cordless phone which has a wireless connection to a base unit which is plugged into the regular phone jack inside your house. If you go outside, you just pick up the cordless phone and take it with you. They will work up to about 175 feet or thereabouts from the base unit.

I have one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B82XSH95/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The talking caller ID is very handy to screen out unwanted calls without having to answer them and hang up.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Surely hope it has a good ending Be careful out there.