Holy URATES, Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I have never been too worried about the occasional urate from Carl in his soak. Recently, however, he's had a lot of urates, almost every day, and they are BIG.

He gets soaked every day at least once, his habitat is misted twice daily if not more, and he always has fresh water... so why the heck is he so full of urates!?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
How long have you had him? Could he have been dehydrated in the recent past?

If he was dehydrated, but has recovered and is consuming ample water, he could be passing all the urates that built up while he was dehydrated. Just a theory. I could be way off.

Could he be passing a stone?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I've had him since last June, it's been the same care routine from the beginning.

I am not sure what passing a stone looks like. I really hope he doesn't have a stone!! He is eating normally and being his normal old self. I will say that recently he's been sleeping a lot more. He will eat his breakfast and then go straight back to bed. I also have to wake him up in the morning to soak and eat. I attributed that to not being outside. He has seemed a little "down" since I have been keeping him indoors. The urates only started maybe two weeks or so ago.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Andrea M said:
My Hermann only passes clear urine, is that normal?

Yes that is normal. Passing the occasional urate is normal too, but don't worry if you don' see any.

CourtneyAndCarl said:
I am not sure what passing a stone looks like. I really hope he doesn't have a stone!!

I didn't mean to worry you. A stone can look like chunky, crumbly urate. If the urate is creamy or watery, I wouldn't worry, as long as the tort is kept well hydrated.

CourtneyAndCarl said:
He is eating normally and being his normal old self. I will say that recently he's been sleeping a lot more. He will eat his breakfast and then go straight back to bed. I also have to wake him up in the morning to soak and eat. I attributed that to not being outside. He has seemed a little "down" since I have been keeping him indoors. The urates only started maybe two weeks or so ago.

Eating regularly is a good sign. Is he pooping regularly? I'd keep a close eye on him over the next few weeks. Increased urates, in itself, is not a huge concern as long as he's kept well hydrated.

Mine get "down" too when they're indoors. Its effects their mood. The increased sleepiness could be a temp issue, but it could also be, as you mentioned, just general gloominess from being indoors. I would check the temps to make sure he's not too cold, just to be on the safe side.

If he stops eating, pooping, or show signs of struggling to pass something (i.e. stones), then I'd be concerned and take him to see a good reptile vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.