Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
That is a great question. I hope they're the same :) That would be a whole heck of a lot cheaper for us. The home depot ones don't look like they would produce enough heat though.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
They do put out UVB, trouble is how much varies. In order to safely use one, a person would need to invest in a couple quality UV meters to test them. In reality we should all have a couple meters to check our lamps anyways, as even the pet retail options have considerable variation and differing decay rates.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Grrr, I wish someone would answer this question who like has one! I reallllyyyyyy want one of those now :p save me soooo much money! But I don't want to buy one then it not be the same haha :p

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Don't the reptile MVBs have a special coating to shield parts of the spectrum that are less desireable/harmful? I seem to remember hearing something about that. These don't look like they have something like that.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It has to do with UVC, if I remember correctly.

The part of the light spectrum that we want for our reptiles is UVA/UVB. The bulbs such as Home Depot carries have light that is closer to the UVC spectrum, which can be harmful to eyes, etc. They aren't made to be put as close as we put our bulbs to our reptiles (12"-24".)

That, and the burn time on them is variable, just like reptile MVB bulbs. You never know for sure when the UV producing capability gives out, unless you are using a meter.

That STILL makes MVB's (the proper ones) MUCH MUCH better than the fluorescents any day, in my book. Flourescent UV bulbs are junk and a waste of money in my opinion.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
HPS and MH bulbs do produce UV, but they all vary, and aren't rated as such. Most have a mogul base and require a special ballast and fixture. Good for lighting a parking lot. The ones in the 5-6000 kelvin range make decent gro-lights for plants. But to answer your question. No, they aren't the same.

Sorry, just saw they were mercury vapor, not the same either.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
*Face palm*
I give up. Am I typing in spanish or something?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This is a good thread; Since I will be purchasing a UVB bulb..But everyone contradicts each other soo much....I want an expert to give us their opinion. For Example:

Home Depot MVB: Pros and Cons
10.0 -12'-24' UVB: Pros and Cons
Mercury UVB Bulb: Pros and Cons

I want to purchase the best UVB source for my CDT's

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Tortuga_terrestre said:
I found a very informative Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1INmamLZdGk&feature=related
I have a 20 Gallon Tank, What do you guys recommend? 100 or 160? Should I purchase a fixture? or directly on the screen? I have a 250V Ceramic Dome.

I would recommend a 100 watt what do you meen should you buy a fixture ? you have one the ceramic dome

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you want an expert- ask Balboa, the electrician, who already gave the right answer.

Unfiltered Mercury Vapor Bulbs put out a LOT of UVC, so you add a coating that 'tunes' the light to how you want it. The most common coating- like that on the Home Depot and other bulbs, drops most of the UV light in favor of more visible light in a wider spectrum.

Check out the specs of the bulb-
- 50 CRI. Sunlight is 100- this thing is only pumping out a small part of the color spectrum.
- Color temp of 3900K- not bad for a spotlight, but sunlight is 6-7000K, this thing is only putting out half of that.

If you want good UVB (or, indeed, any sunlight-like experience), you need to get better numbers than that bulb.

Personally, I am eagerly waiting for Balboa to get his meter and get us some good readings on T12 and UVB/MVB bulbs.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Madkins007 said:
Personally, I am eagerly waiting for Balboa to get his meter and get us some good readings on T12 and UVB/MVB bulbs.

I'm hoping he'll start with the Powersun...I've been singing its praises for some time now, but there's no spectrum graphs on it (as far as I know).

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Yeah, I'm ordering my Powersun today so that would be awesome haha :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Tortuga_terrestre : A 20 gallon tank is very small for a MVB. If that is really a good enclosure size for your tort (a very small hatchling?), then I recommend a 100 Watt MVB placed over one side of the tank so you still have a chance of getting a gradient, but yes it will "waste" some of the heat/UVB/light (if you placed it in the middle, you wouldn't get any cooler spots since the tank is so small...you are aiming for 70s, 80s, and 90s). Use a good thermometer like a temp gun to check temps, as with such a small glass enclosure, you could easily cook your tort. You always want to use a rig such as a lamp stand with a MVB as you need to vertically adjust the bulb (not just place it on the screen; also keep in mind many screens are such a fine mesh they block much of the UVB rays). Use a ceramic socket hood fixture which is wide and deep. Mount the bulb face parallel to the substrate (not at an angle which can hurt your tort and/or damage the bulb).

Status
Not open for further replies.