homemade enclosures

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Hello all again,
I would love to see ideas of homemade/ built enclosures by our lovely tortoise users. Anyone who is proud of their homemade enclosure and would like to share to help spread ideas please post below. I am trying to do a DIY enclosure and I need ideas. :) Thank you everyone!

Loveboxies

Wisconsin
I am almost done with this one. I had my Box Turtle in a 3 x 4 enclosure and moved her into a 3 x 6 enclosure. I used brick on the bottom and built it over patio block so she couldn't dig out. I cemented in 2 x 2's into the masonry block and built the rest of the enclosure around her. I had her out last night and it had rained but it's still to cold to not cover the enclosure. It's only 54 right now so I brought her back inside. Wisconsin has some weird weather. She will go back out tomorrow when temps are in the 60's. Also plan to plant some ferns in here as well for shade.

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_161013896.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220527_161013896.MP.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220527_161104050.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220527_161104050.MP.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 12

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Cool set up. What did you use for the bottom inside? Did you put your own substrate? Also, how do you plan on growing things inside without the tortoise being exposed to fertilizer in soil?

Loveboxies

Wisconsin
I had put a patio in and used the dirt I dug from the ground and put that inside the enclosure. I built it right over part of the patio. It has patio block underneath. The substrate is cypress mulch on one side, the covered side, so it stays dry. I plan to get ferns from the garden center, I unpot them, get all the dirt off and rinse the roots, then plant. I plan to do that this weekend so I will post another picture. :)