Home's not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

Scoot usually only eats every other day though food is available to her everyday. This past week she has stopped eating. I am trying to ween banana out of her diet so at first I thought I took to much out and that is why she stopped. I have added a little more but she still will not eat. I am giving her a mix of spring mix, hibiscus, mushroom, squash and mazuri all lightly coated in banana baby food. She is outside the weather has been great highs in the 80-90s with lows at nights in the upper 60s. I am in Florida so it is pretty humid and I water/mist her enclosure daily. She has been very active and alert. She feels heavy in my hand, not sure of her weight she is too heavy for my small scale and too light for my big one. Most days if she is not moving around than she is sitting in the shade looking around. Any ideas what could be going on?

IMG_2049.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
What are you giving her for meat?

I would try some earthworms, mealworms, and I use a little mackerel or salmon. They LOVE the fish.

S

Scooter

I have tried worms with her before and when they move they scare her and she goes in her shell. Right now she will only eat something if it smells like banana, maybe I should dip the worms in the banana baby food...hmm

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Did you say she is outside 24/7 ? Is her enclosure shady with alot of cover? Homes will seek a shady cooler spot during the heat of the day (mine seem to be most active between 75 & 85 degrees). They feed in the early morning and early evening. I'll put the sprinkler on them in the evening for about 15 to 30 minutes and they then get active and start forageing. There is the possibility that she is hunting and forageing at night also. Does she have a wading pool (they enjoy that).

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The 60's at night seems a bit low to be leaving her outside at night. I wouldn't go below 70F for her at night.

Danny

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
My hingebacks also skip meals fairly frequently but I don't usually worry about it. I'll admit that it has started bugging my a little since I've seen how much my new sulcata eats on a daily basis, but my hingebacks haven't let themselves starve yet. Two of mine will eat weeds, bermuda grass and dandelion, so you might consider checking some of that St. Augustine for bite marks; Scoot might be eating more than you think. Also, Kristina's suggestion about the meal worms might work- my hingebacks love earthworms but are afraid of meal worms, so maybe the opposite could be true for yours. Couldn't tell you on the fish, though I think I am going to try that for myself and see how it goes (my wife is getting increasingly annoyed by the combination of earthworms and my 2 year old daughter's desire to feed all our pets).
I do agree with Danny that nighttime temps in the 60's is a bit too low unless the ground temp is staying at 70 or above. You could always experiment (outside the pen, of course) with keeping a hide on top of a paving stone to see if it could absorb enough heat during the day to last till morning temps can rise.

S

Scooter

The upper 60s at night is the lowest it is getting at night but it doesn't get that low every night. Her enclosure only gets about an hour of direct sunlight a day and even then it is not the whole enclosure so there is plenty of shaded and protected hide areas for her. I mist her everyday when I water the plants. She is still very active and acting normal other than the not eating. I appreciate all the ideas and concern. For the fish, is any fish ok or just certain ones? I will try some new worms today and see if she will take them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I only use mackerel or salmon, because of the D3 content, but I assume any would be okay.

S

Scooter

Ok I will check into the fish. I forgot to mention she does have a water bowl I have never seen her use it but I find dirt in it all the time. Today I will try feeding her in the evening instead of the morning and see if that helps.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I think they are like box turtles in that they forage at night. I think she may be feeding herself on bugs at night.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How long has she been outside? Have the temps gotten warmer since she has slowed down? Could she be gravid? I can't recall if she is adult size or smaller.

S

Scooter

She has been outside for about a week and a half. She is an adult but the only Home's I have. Though I have thought about her being gravid since I am pretty sure she is wild caught and I have read about female torts being able to store sperm till conditions are right. Though I am not sure how likely this is.

I tried feeding her in the evening yesterday and she just walked over the food. I also tried a new worm she looked at it and turned and walked away. She does not feel like she has lost any weight so she could be foraging at night like everyone suggest. I will keep trying new things and will keep everyone posted.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If she has only been outside for a week and a half, she is most likely just still stressed out a bit. Most tortoises seem to handle moves in and out of the house rather well, but for some, it's a rather stressful time. Scoot may be such an animal. Give her some time, but also be ready to bring her back inside, if she needs it.

Years ago, the first time I tried moving my Hingebacks outside, it was a dismal failure. Most of it was purely my fault, as my lack of knowledge caused me to fail to have enough hides and heavy enough plantings. I still have a few which just don't do well being outside for me. It's just a matter of trial and error, with keeping your mind open and being willing to change and retry again.

S

Scooter

Thanks Jacqui, I think she likes it out there. She spends her day sitting there with her head out just looking around and is very active. I will keep a close eye on her though.

S

Scooter

So not only did Scoot eat today but she ate food that had no banana on it what so ever! :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
See those baby steps do start to make progress don't they? I am so proud of you for not giving up and for Scoot who is changing her ways!:D

S

Scooter

Yes I was so excited when I saw she ate it! At first I thought she just walked over it like normal and pushed it around but I looked closer and realized at least half of it was gone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.