homes soaking too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhite

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
west milwaukee,wi
So I have another question about my homes. She seems to be soaking a lot. Today she spent almost the whole day in her little soaking tub. i have never had a forest tort before and i am not sure if this is a common thing for them to do or if i should take her out if she is spending so much time soaking. My thoughts on it so far are that she will know when she has had enough water, but i am also concerned that maybe she might be sick.

Thanks Jon

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I wouldn't worry about it as long as your tortoise is still eating. I have had Home's spend what seemed like days in the water without developing RIs or shell rot. Now, it is possible that you need to bump up your humidity or add a humid hide, but some Home's just love water. If you're really concerned about the soaking you can install a CHE above the water dish to keep the water from getting too cool, but make sure to install it high enough that the temp of your tort's shell won't get over 80* since high temperatures really seem to annoy them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your right in worrying that it could be a sign of her being sick. Is she eating?
Right now, I would be thinking there is a high chance she is trying to get more hydrated because she just came in from a dealer (correct?) and more then likely has been kept a bit dry.

However, it is also a good signal to double check your current set up, just in case that might be an issue.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
What are the temps like on the other end of the enclosure? Is there a possibility they are too high, and she is trying to get away from the heat?

I have some that soak a lot also. They really love the water. But it is better to eliminate the possibility of a problem, rather than just accept it as normal behavior.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
hi all thanks for your responses.

I don't think it's a humidity issue, but i am going to get a hygrometer today to make sure that i am keeping the humidity up.

She is eating, not really good, but she is eating so far her favorites seem to be mushrooms and worms.
she did just come from a dealer.

I just checked my temps and they are low 69 F throughout the enclosure. So i will be buying a CHE today also.

This morning when i went to feed her she was still in her water so that was almost 24 hours straight being in the water so i took her out and put her near her food.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With temps that low and the water without anything to keep it warm, yeah I would be removing her myself or atleast give her new warm water and then in a few minutes remove her from that water too as it cools down. So she eats, which is good. Is she active or after eating will she make a quick trip straight back to the water? Until you get the CHE, could you raise the room temp any?

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
I have a small space heater that I have placed by enclosure for now I think that will help raise the temps for a little while. She has been pretty active up until yesterday when all she wanted to do was sit in her water.

Jon

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wondering what your temps were yesterday? Let's see what happens once you get it raised a bit.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
the temps were probably around the same as this morning it has gotten a little colder here (milwaukee) and I refuse to turn the heat on yet.

I am still at school so I haven't been able to check my temps since this morning so I will se when I get home in a couple of hours.

Jon

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
ok so i got the temps up to right around 76. last night when i got home she hadn't eaten at all yet so i tried a worm and she ate that pretty quick and now this morning she is eating some mushroom. As far as i know she didn't go into her water at all yeaterday and she hasn't gone in yet today. I did mist her enclosure twice yesterday and once this morning. Her activity level seems better also.

Thanks for all the advice it is appreciated.

Jon

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) Good! What a relief knowing things seem back on track and so quickly. Still keep a close ye on her and watch those temps. ;)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Some tortoises stay in the water all day, some will just ignore it. As long as the enviromental conditions are correct and your tortoise is feeding normally, you have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.