Honu's dislike of greens

LauraBSD

5 Year Member
HI! I've had Honu now for about a month and for the life of me I cannot get her to eat greens….I've tried all sorts of "tricks" that I read on this wonderful forum but she just picks everything else out…she loves red wiggler worms, boiled chicken, bananas and sometimes strawberries..but will not eat cucumbers, kale, romaine…basically no greens…Im just concerned that she isn't getting fed a well balanced meal…any help would be very much appreciated!

honu picking out worms.jpghonu hot tub 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I don't really know much about box turtles, but she's a beauty- looks like she's smiling!!!:)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
My Adult Boxies just strated enjoying green in the last couple of years. I too, tried all the tricks for many years. Regardless of them not eating greens, I still provided it twice a week with their other foods. The bulk of their diet is still proteins, but they will occassionally eat some greens and enjoy an assortment of berries as treats. So just keep trying a small bit of greens at least once or twice a week. Dandelion Greens and blooms seem to be their favorite, they also munched the grasses growing (bermuda and rye) in their enclosure.

TigsMom said:
My Adult Boxies just strated enjoying green in the last couple of years. I too, tried all the tricks for many years. Regardless of them not eating greens, I still provided it twice a week with their other foods. The bulk of their diet is still proteins, but they will occassionally eat some greens and enjoy an assortment of berries as treats. So just keep trying a small bit of greens at least once or twice a week. Dandelion Greens and blooms seem to be their favorite, they also munched the grasses growing (bermuda and rye) in their enclosure.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm fortunate in that my boxie eats almost anything. Except bananas. I buy a big thing of organic spring mix every week and I mix a big handful of it with moistened, mashed up Reptomin pellets. I use those new big ones they have for larger turtles. When she was a baby I had to mix it up real well so that every leaf was completely covered in reptomin.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
It is funny. Sometimes mine eat them and other times they turn away from them. I sometimes wonder if this is the day they find some other food source in their outdoor enclosure. Just keep providing them. If they are hungry they will eat.