Phoenix Worms

kbroadway2

My brother in law used to work at a phoenix worm farm and said that they would be good for my hatchling box turtle. He's three months old and has almost doubled in size from the day he hatched. He typically eats meal worms and red wigglers (I cut those into pieces--yuck). I put leafy greens, bananas, and strawberries in his enclosure all day but so far he doesn't touch them. I've also fed him tiny crickets--why shouldn't they eat the back legs?

Anyway, have any of you ever tried phoenix worms? They're supposed to be very calcium rich.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We have soldier flies here and they lay their larva (phoenix worms) in the compost piles. I feed the larva to my redfoots as a meat protein to them sometimes and they love it. :)

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I used pheonix worms for my girl and she grew nicely on them, loved them and I loved caring for them! Easy to feed very nice nutrients and she had a growth spurt on them. I attached a very old (like a year old) picture of her. She LOVES them and I think they'll be great for your little guy too.

Attachments

• Pheonix worm massicure.jpg
    Pheonix worm massicure.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 35

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have fed boxies phoenix worms. They love them! Why do you cut up red wigglers? Mine tackled those as babies just fine.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I have fed boxies phoenix worms. They love them! Why do you cut up red wigglers? Mine tackled those as babies just fine.

This is good to know. The breeder told me to cut them up.The red wigglers I have are not real thick but long so I was hoping they would eat them.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Today the Reptiworms ( Phoenix worms) came in I purchased for my baby boxies. My turtles loved them. I was so happy to see them eating the reptiworms with no problem. The worms are wiggly and active to it caught their attention right away. They ate until they were full. I hope they continue to enjoy them. Since the turtles are so tiny they seemed to have an easier time with the reptiworms than the red wigglers. I will continue to offer the wigglers (cutting them up yuck) but I feel better seeing them eat so well. I hope they continue today was the first day they just came in.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I used pheonix worms for my girl and she grew nicely on them, loved them and I loved caring for them! Easy to feed very nice nutrients and she had a growth spurt on them. I attached a very old (like a year old) picture of her. She LOVES them and I think they'll be great for your little guy too.

@wiccan_chicken How did you care for your worms? Do you just feed them like mealworms giving greens and carrots? Thanks

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East

I am no longer cutting them up thank goodness and they are eating them with no problem. They have lost interest in the phoenix worms.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I am no longer cutting them up thank goodness and they are eating them with no problem. They have lost interest in the phoenix worms.

Lost interest? That's surprising. Were you just feeding them and nothing else? Verity is key, even with protein.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Yes, they are eating red wiggles mainly but get mealworms, crickets, salmon,and pill bugs along with greens and mushrooms. I just ordered super worms to add to the list. I also have some venison I plan to make for them this weekend. They have no interest in the Phoenix worms but will eat everything else. They especially love mealworms but I limit them to just snacks.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
@wiccan_chicken How did you care for your worms? Do you just feed them like mealworms giving greens and carrots? Thanks

I am sorry I have been off the forum for a long time. They don't need to be fed! They're so low matienence I love it. I usually order the 150 size and within three weeks all are gone. I usually feed them with only one other protein source so they dont pupate off on me. Feeding them makes them pupate faster. Also the darker ones are higher in calcium so they're the best to feed off ;)