Respiratory Infection

Behnad

5 Year Member
Hi,
Over the past few days, my 2 year old box turtle has been exhibiting symptoms of respiratory infection. There has been a clear liquid coming out of his nose and his eyes are somewhat puffy and are shut most of the time (they open when I pick him up or soak him). He has also been pretty lethargic although he eats normally (I am feeding crickets, red wigglers, phoenix worms, omega one turtle pellets and berries). How should I proceed with treating this illness? I read on a website (http://www.billsboxturtles.com/health.html) that clear discharge indicates vitamin A deficiency while colored or opaque discharge indicates bacterial infection. Is this true? I have put pictures of him and the enclosure below.
Your input is greatly appreciated,
Behnad20140731_152228.jpg 20140731_152007.jpg 20140731_152402.jpg 20140731_152146.jpg

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Awww, he's a cutie. Try giving him a soak with warm water and carrot baby food. He'll soak up the moisture he needs for hydration and some vitamins too.

Behnad

5 Year Member
Thanks, I will definitely try that! So I assume this is a case of vitamin A deficiency?

Behnad

5 Year Member
I have been trying to get him to eat greens but he's extremely picky. The only plant matter he'll eat are berries and banana.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I have been trying to get him to eat greens but he's extremely picky. The only plant matter he'll eat are berries and banana.

Try making a mash and mixing it in with the bananas and berries he normally likes. :) Rip up the greens very small and make a mushygushy mixture. Put it through the food processor even.

Behnad

5 Year Member
Will do. Also, he has had problems with parasites (roundworms) in the past, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Will do. Also, he has had problems with parasites (roundworms) in the past, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.

That's possible! You can certainly take a fecal sample to a vet and have them check for parasites.

Behnad

5 Year Member
I have searched extensively for a vet but haven't found any that treat reptiles in my area.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I think any vet can do a fecal exam. I am not sure if reptiles need a special deworming product or anything.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You won't get him to eat in this state. I had three ornates that had these same symptoms. It was, in my case, Vitamin A def. We treated ours with forced vitamin drops (the ones you find at pet stores) every third day, daily shots of baytril for 21 days and warm soaks with baby food high in vitamin A and protein (those little squeezers are the best) for about 3 - 4 hours a day. I also kept them at much higher temperatures than is normal for box turtles, around 85 - 90f day and night for three weeks. Once the eyes stop swelling and he can see again you should start with live foods like worms that can't escape. His vision will be too bad to catch crickets or super worms. I also made a mix of boiled egg, boiled chicken, finely chopped spring mix, par-boiled yam, par-boiled carrot and diced strawberry and placed it on a red tupperware lid. My guys, 4 months later, are 3 times their weight and tame as hand fed puppies! It sucks to have a sick baby but you can't imagine that feeling when you look in to see open eyes and your little guy takes his first bite of food and then actually catches that first worm!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Also, your light is way to bright and lights up your beautiful enclosure too much for a box turtle. Box turtles need murky light and only need a small amount of morning light to get them going. Try shifting it to the side and switching (if that isn't one) to a 40 or 60 watt normal bulb. Do not use the coil type. While he is still little, get some leaf litter and a more low to the ground item for him to hide under instead of the hide you have. Use a light warped board or one of those "bark" strips that lizard people use.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I'm not entirely sure. Your enclosure looks pretty moist, but he looks very dry which is odd.

I would also be including some greens in his diet too.

Check out our boxie hatchling care sheet here, and make any adjustments to your husbandry as needed. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-hatchling-care-sheet.97144/
I would have to guess it is the light drying him up. He can't escape it so it is probably too hot over the entire enclosure. Tragically, I had 15 of our 19 babies from 2011 die because they were incubated in that horrible summer we had and then people my Uncle gave them to kept them under hot basking lights and dry conditions. I will try and post pictures of the two who were raised right and the two I had to rehab. One of them is still deformed and the other has actually started to recover quite nicely.

Behnad

5 Year Member
I would have to guess it is the light drying him up. He can't escape it so it is probably too hot over the entire enclosure. Tragically, I had 15 of our 19 babies from 2011 die because they were incubated in that horrible summer we had and then people my Uncle gave them to kept them under hot basking lights and dry conditions. I will try and post pictures of the two who were raised right and the two I had to rehab. One of them is still deformed and the other has actually started to recover quite nicely.
I have kept him in this enclosure for a year but he has just recently started showing these symptoms. The hot side is about 90f while the cold side is 82f.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
That's definitely a little warm for normal, but okay while he's sick. Once he's better, try using a low wattage incandescent bulb just on one side of the enclosure...cool side around 65-70, warm side about 80-85. They actually prefer it a bit cooler than most reptiles. Try to keep that heat up while he's sick, but maybe switch out for a blacklight bulb or something not so bright.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have found the best thing for box turtles, especially babies, is thick soil and heat cables or heat pad. As Stephen pointed out. Direct bulbs tend to dry the air, and or add too much heat. Try using a tube bulb for UVB with a low percentage like a 2.0 or 4.0. Worms are good. Bird vitamins are great to use when soaking him too.

Behnad

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the great advice! I will change the light ASAP. Can someone put a link to a website that sells the light/heating device that I should be using?