Horsfield Humidity

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m new here, first post.
I am just researching all I need to know before I purchase my tortoise.
I have been reading lots online but one thing that is conflicting at the moment is the humidity needed.

I am in the UK and I’ve read lots online that says Horsfields should be kept in an open tortoise table or wooden vivarium and that the substrate should be kept dry so as not to raise the humidity levels.
From what I have read on this forum it says that the substrate should be damp...
Can anybody clarify?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What you are reading outside of this forum is old outdated info.
Follow the caresheet found on this forum and you will provide a great home for your tort.
Welcome to the forum too.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
What you are reading outside of this forum is old outdated info.
Follow the caresheet found on this forum and you will provide a great home for your tort.
Welcome to the forum too.

Thank you for your reply.
In your opinion do you think that I could reach the required humidity in an open top tank?
I didn’t want a vivarium, but obviously would go with what is best.
The tortoise will be approx 6 months old when I get it. If I kept the substrate damp at one end of the tank near to the basking lamp, could that work?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard on an open top table. However, only you will really know if it's working or not. Get the proper gauges and do the measure of the temps and humidity at torts level. You can always cover half the enclosure to make that end more humid.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I believe that it would be fine if you had a damp substrate and a humid hide, but I would wait for more answers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An open topped enclosure with dry substrate in a normal heated home will have extremely low, unnatural humidity levels. This is not good for any tortoise, and especially not a little baby.

Russian tortoise do not need high humidity like a star or sulcata, but they do benefit from moderate humidity (50-70%), a humid hide and deep damp substrate to burrow into. Creating these conditions will help keep your tortoise healthy, hydrated and it will reduce the likelihood of pyramiding.

Be aware that as far as tortoises go, pet shops here or there will usually give you bad info, sell you the wrong stuff, and they should generally be avoided unless you need something they sell and can't get it elsewhere. Most of what you need can be found at the hardware store.

Here is the right info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
An open topped enclosure with dry substrate in a normal heated home will have extremely low, unnatural humidity levels. This is not good for any tortoise, and especially not a little baby.

Russian tortoise do not need high humidity like a star or sulcata, but they do benefit from moderate humidity (50-70%), a humid hide and deep damp substrate to burrow into. Creating these conditions will help keep your tortoise healthy, hydrated and it will reduce the likelihood of pyramiding.

Be aware that as far as tortoises go, pet shops here or there will usually give you bad info, sell you the wrong stuff, and they should generally be avoided unless you need something they sell and can't get it elsewhere. Most of what you need can be found at the hardware store.

Here is the right info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Thank you. That makes great sense.