Russian/horsefield

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
Hi there,

A while ago I posted here for help regarding A baby tortoise I rescued. In that thread I was told his substrate should be damp. I've now has lots of conflicting information saying that damp substrate will cause respiratory infections and I'm terrified! So I just want to check whether his substrate definitely should be damp? Thank you x

daniellenc

Maryland
Babies need humidity which is created in a closed chamber with damp substrate and misting. Respiratory infections occur when a tortoise is too cold so if your temps are over 80 an infection is not likely. Russians don’t require the humidity some species do but a growing hatchling benefits greatly from it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoise babies don't need a whole lot of humidity, but they do need some. What Danielle has told you is good info - warm and damp = good . . . cold and damp = bad or R.I.

Think about it: baby tortoises are prey and they stay hidden most of their early lives. Digging down into the dirt they find a damper soil, then while in there, they poop and pee, making it even more damp.

You will find lots of conflicting information on the 'net. I would take that with a grain of salt.

P

pguinpro

I would observe your torts behavior, sometimes mine spends more time on the dry side and less time on the misted side even though overall humidity is around 80 I feel like he definitely prefers dry! Then again I have a Sulcata so makes sense... Aforementioned is correct, I've spoken with herpetologists with PHDs who've been doing this for 15+ years that have entirely different opinions and suggestions which contradict information I've reviewed here. I've even spoken to dave from ojai Sulcata project who's prety neutral but the information is contradictory to what I've discussed at length with herpetologist; take it with a grain of salt is right, observe and report.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I have a 4-day old Russian hatchling that I keep in a 30-gallon Rubbermade tub. Substrate is a 50/50 mix if Coco Coir and Forest bedding (both by Zoo Med). Rather than wet any of the substrate, I put her house/hide (a small plastic Tupperware container upside down) underneath part of where her basking light is, with wet sphagnum moss inside of it. The lamp keeps the house warm and keeps humidity up. So my hatchling can burrow and sleep in there and she's getting the humidity she needs.