Horsfield tortoise

Mllx_yy

Location (City and/or State)
Bedfordshire
Hi everyone, I got a baby horsfield tortoise about a week ago now and thought I could join here for some help :) he/she seems very happy, loves climbing and exploring but one thing that bothered me today was when I was giving him/her its bath one eye was half shut compared to the other and stayed like that, I also just check on him (I woke him/her up oops) and he only opened one eye and the other stayed shut for a good 2mins and opened half way and stayed like that. I’m really worried about it is anything wrong?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What lights are you using, temperature, enclosure and substrate? Can you post a picture of the enclosure and the tortoise? It would be very helpful. Welcome to the forum. @zolasmum can help too.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Mllx_yy ....
You are going to be asked quite a few questions, which are very important in being able to help out your tort. You mentioned you have a baby so time really isn't on your side here, as babies go downhill fast. If there is something wrong a fast remedy is needed, not meaning to over worry you just giving you a heads up. Answering the basics are necessary Temperatures (Basking, Warm side, Cool side and overnight lows), lighting, and substrate.

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
@Mllx_yy ....
You are going to be asked quite a few questions, which are very important in being able to help out your tort. You mentioned you have a baby so time really isn't on your side here, as babies go downhill fast. If there is something wrong a fast remedy is needed, not meaning to over worry you just giving you a heads up. Answering the basics are necessary Temperatures (Basking, Warm side, Cool side and overnight lows), lighting, and substrate
yes thank you, I’ll attach a photo of her enclosure. Her basking is about 35 and her cold side is 22-23 and warm side is 33-32. I’m not sure how low the temperature goes at night. I have the uvb lamp and the heating lamp, my substrate is like sand kind off, you will be able to see in the photo :) I’m not even sure how old she is.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpeg
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    552.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1944.jpeg
    IMG_1944.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 3

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
What lights are you using, temperature, enclosure and substrate? Can you post a picture of the enclosure and the tortoise? It would be very helpful. Welcome to the forum. @zolasmum can help too.
Here’s an imagine of her enclosure I’ll show you her lights and temp as well :) if anything’s wrong with my enclosure please let me know, and if she looks unhealthy. I do get scared as I’ve never had a tortoise before only guinea pigs and they are very different to look after.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
I’m not sure if the substrate is fine but my tortoise does seem to love, he likes to dig and bury himself when he sleeps :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi!
Thanks for the photos!
1. Sandy substrates aren't really good for captive tortoises. While they live on something like that in wild, enclosures are very different and we have to account for that. For a baby russian tortoise look for coco coir (soil-like fine ground coconut shell, usually sold in bricks). Coco coir is easy to burrow, holds moisture well and doesn't irritate eyes or causes impaction. Rehydrate the bricks, put in the enclosure and hand-pack them to a half of initial volume. Substrate thickness should be 4-8 inches.
2. Gauge-type thermometers (and especially hygrometers) are inaccurate. Get cheap digital ones from a hardware store (should be around 10 pounds or less). Place them at 1-2 inches above substrate - you need to know parameters where your tortoise roams.
3. UVB lamp is of correct type, looks like Arcadia to me (one of the best on the market). But two more details are required to check if all is fine - distance from lamp to substrate and lamp label (6% Forest or 12% Desert etc.)
4. I'm not sure about basking bulb - looks like an incandescent lamp, which is good. Yet if it's a spot type and not flood it can be too intense. If you have a box, this will help.
5. Temperatures are more or less fine (cold part could be a 2-3C warmer). I would get a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat to keep them under control.
6. Replace the water dish with a shallow terracotta saucer, large enough to get into. Those with high walls can be flipping and drowning hazard.
7. His eye can be irritated by sand (that's one of the reasons, why it's not a recommended substrate). You may get a sterile saline solution from pharmacy and try to flush it gently.
8. Ensure that you bath your guy daily at least 15-30 minutes in a lukewarm water.

When you have some free time - check this post https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ for basic tortoise care guidelines and the Temperate species care sheet linked at the end of it for more specific information regarding Russian tortoise care.

Please, keep us updated and ask any questions you have!

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
Hi!
Thanks for the photos!
1. Sandy substrates aren't really good for captive tortoises. While they live on something like that in wild, enclosures are very different and we have to account for that. For a baby russian tortoise look for coco coir (soil-like fine ground coconut shell, usually sold in bricks). Coco coir is easy to burrow, holds moisture well and doesn't irritate eyes or causes impaction. Rehydrate the bricks, put in the enclosure and hand-pack them to a half of initial volume. Substrate thickness should be 4-8 inches.
2. Gauge-type thermometers (and especially hygrometers) are inaccurate. Get cheap digital ones from a hardware store (should be around 10 pounds or less). Place them at 1-2 inches above substrate - you need to know parameters where your tortoise roams.
3. UVB lamp is of correct type, looks like Arcadia to me (one of the best on the market). But two more details are required to check if all is fine - distance from lamp to substrate and lamp label (6% Forest or 12% Desert etc.)
4. I'm not sure about basking bulb - looks like an incandescent lamp, which is good. Yet if it's a spot type and not flood it can be too intense. If you have a box, this will help.
5. Temperatures are more or less fine (cold part could be a 2-3C warmer). I would get a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat to keep them under control.
6. Replace the water dish with a shallow terracotta saucer, large enough to get into. Those with high walls can be flipping and drowning hazard.
7. His eye can be irritated by sand (that's one of the reasons, why it's not a recommended substrate). You may get a sterile saline solution from pharmacy and try to flush it gently.
8. Ensure that you bath your guy daily at least 15-30 minutes in a lukewarm water.

When you have some free time - check this post https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ for basic tortoise care guidelines and the Temperate species care sheet linked at the end of it for more specific information regarding Russian tortoise care.

Please, keep us updated and ask any questions you have!
Thank you so much for your help! I found out today he is 5-6months. Next time I clean his enclosure I’ll change his substrate completely to what you recommended, also thanks about the water bowl I never realised it could be a hazard. Really appreciate it :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you so much for your help! I found out today he is 5-6months. Next time I clean his enclosure I’ll change his substrate completely to what you recommended, also thanks about the water bowl I never realised it could be a hazard. Really appreciate it :)
Can you post details on UVB and basking lamps (photo of the box or exact model)? Just to be sure that they are correct.

And the distance between substrate and lamp for the UVB tube.

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
Can you post details on UVB and basking lamps (photo of the box or exact model)? Just to be sure that they are correct.

And the distance between substrate and lamp for the UVB tube.
Yh I can for you now, also I have some picture of like stuff in his eyes I think I’m not sure I’m quite worried about if I could also show you them. I used a dry shampoo for reference as I don’t have any measurements with me😂 also the picture of his eye it’s like that on both sometimes, he kind of blinks it away. It kind of looks like the reflection of the sun but it’s not :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1948.jpeg
    IMG_1948.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What substrate are you using?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
That's probably what is irritating his eyes. I would change that asap. Use repti bark and coco coir. The care sheet would be more specific.

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
That's probably what is irritating his eyes. I would change that asap. Use repti bark. The care sheet would be more specific.
Okay I will thank you, it seems he has more stuff stuck in his eyes than irritated if you get what I mean? Should I clean his eyes or leave it, is there anyways I can clean them?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you gently rinse it off? Don't rub the eyes. The substrate is bark and the coco coir and is natural. If you mix it, dampen, and pack it down.

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
Can you gently rinse it off? Don't rub the eyes. The substrate is bark and the coco coir and is natural. If you mix it, dampen, and pack it down.
That’s what I should use instead? Okay perfect I’ll try and rinse her eyes out tomorrow:)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would try to clean the substrate up and clean the eyes today. I'm not an expert but that is my opinion. @Yvonne G @wellington or @ZEROPILOT can help you more.