Rescued horsfield tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen Clarke

Thank you so much, I've just rescued a horsfield tortise and looking for any helpful hints. He isn't drinking much, but he is eating. When I got him his living quarter wasn't great, he had no heat lamp or uv light, handful of saw dust dump at the bottom of his tank and 2 lettuce leaves and his shell is soft, so I'm building him up at the moment, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Helen Clarke

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Helen!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum, Helen!:) And well done with that rescue.

Please post pics of your tort. Meanwhile you could begin by reading the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and the many care sheets available. Where do you live and what of the climate back there? If it is dry, take care: torts need: humidity and warmth. Give your trot daily soaks in warm water.:D

And good luck!

Helen Clarke

Thank you everyone, I'm glad I found this forum, any help would be appreciated. He will be able to go outside tomorrow as it's to be warm, I live in Scotland so weather depending, but does run round the house. I've only had him since Tuesday. Could someone tell me what the white milky stuff that he let's out once in a while, does it mean he is in distress or something else?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The white is urates. Completely normal as long as the consistency is not gritty.
Running around the house is not warm enough, and very dangerous for tortoises. A large safe enclosure is the best way to meet his needs for temp and humidity.

Helen Clarke

Thank you for that, I needed reassuring as he was in a bad place before with no heat or uv light and barrly anything in his tank, he has a tank and is doing well. I let him out in the house for exercise and outside for light and and running around, but till my husband builds a enclosure I stand outside with him as the crows have tried to attack him.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello & welcome :)
Have to read our russian tortoise care sheet? Theres a lot of helpful up-to-date information in the thread.
Hope to see pictures soon :)

Helen Clarke

Hello and thank you, I'm beginning to get through them and the sheet that the vet gave me, just beginning to build him up again as he was in an awful state, he wasn't allow out of his tank to stretch his legs, and is liking walking around my kitchen and the back garden we are building an enclosure tomorrow for him. I will try and post pictures up when I figure how to on this tablet

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Welcome, Helen! Is your tortoise eating? That's the best way to get him to good health! If he won't eat, I'd recommend zucchini, my tortoise wouldn't eat until she discovered zucchini. It sounds like your little guy has come to a great home!

Helen Clarke

Thank you, George is eating finally I've given him spinach, cucumber, carrot and dark leaves from a type of lettuce ( not iceberg), so he is eating. My worry is he isn't pooing (sorry).

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My tortoise didn't poop for the first four days I had her. To help, just soak her in lukewarm water for ten or fifteen minutes. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it lasts for a long time. My tortoise went for weeks without pooping, and that's when I realized there was a problem! But that, too, can be fixed! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Status
Not open for further replies.