Horsfield tortoise

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Thank You @Alex and the Redfoot, another great job. @Mllx_yy you've been given some expert advice I hope this makes you feel better (less stress). Of course feel free to ask anything on your mind people like @Alex and the Redfoot are a fantastic resource that's free to use.

I just noticed that yesterday I never posted this so here it is a day late.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to change the SPOT bulb to a FLOOD bulb
The sand and or bulb could be irritating the eyes. Also those white things in the substrate, they like to eat them and that's not good.
He also needs 80% humidity and don't use those disc, they are not accurate. Get digital and put at tortoise height.

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
Thank You @Alex and the Redfoot, another great job. @Mllx_yy you've been given some expert advice I hope this makes you feel better (less stress). Of course feel free to ask anything on your mind people like @Alex and the Redfoot are a fantastic resource that's free to use.

You need to change the SPOT bulb to a FLOOD bulb
The sand and or bulb could be irritating the eyes. Also those white things in the substrate, they like to eat them and that's not good.
He also needs 80% humidity and don't use those disc, they are not accurate. Get digital and put at tortoise height.
Yes, I will be changing the substrate straight away and I will get a new spot light tomorrow thank you.

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire

Yes, I’m so happy I joined this page I was so worried but all of you have made me feel 10x better! Thank you.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yh I can for you now, also I have some picture of like stuff in his eyes I think I’m not sure I’m quite worried about if I could also show you them. I used a dry shampoo for reference as I don’t have any measurements with me😂 also the picture of his eye it’s like that on both sometimes, he kind of blinks it away. It kind of looks like the reflection of the sun but it’s not :)
Sorry, I've missed your post.

1. UVB lamp is great. But you need something better, than a shampoo bottle for measurements :)) UVB output significantly differs with distance, so you have to be precise. This kind of lamps should be mounted at 20" above substrate (no lower than 18") to ensure safe and sufficient UVB output. There is a rather expensive measurement device: Solarmeter 6.5 (or ZooMed Reptile UV Radiometer 6.5 which is the same stuff) - with it you can measure exact UVB levels without guessing. This will come handy after 12 months when you have to change the lamp because if it still works fine you can keep using it. Sometimes, Arcadia lamps last for 3-4 years (when they set on 4 hours timer).

2. Spot basking bulbs aren't recommended for tortoises - they output a narrow beam of light and heat but you need a wide basking area with less intense heating (2-3 times larger than your tortoise). Flood type incandescents are the way to go. You can get Arcadia Solar Basking *Flood*light instead (sold on Swell Reptile, for example).

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
On the photo he looks dry but the eye is not in really bad shape. I hope once you adjust the lamps and change the substrate these issues will resolve on its own. Daily bathings (at least 15 minutes) can be beneficial too. With a new substrate you can easily bring the humidity to a recommended range of 40-70% (just damp substrate will work its magic).

Please, keep us updated!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Devon. My Hermanns tortoise (almost 24 years old) sometimes gets a slight problem with his eyes - I get Viscotears from the chemist, and wipe his eye with a damp cottonwool pad, then put a blob of the viscotears on - it is a gel, so doesn't liquefy at once. It isn't expensive, and works well. I always keep a tube handy, just in case.
Best wishes
Angie

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Hello and welcome from Devon. My Hermanns tortoise (almost 24 years old) sometimes gets a slight problem with his eyes - I get Viscotears from the chemist, and wipe his eye with a damp cottonwool pad, then put a blob of the viscotears on - it is a gel, so doesn't liquefy at once. It isn't expensive, and works well. I always keep a tube handy, just in case.
Best wishes
Angie
Another great piece of info. As well as another expert

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
On the photo he looks dry but the eye is not in really bad shape. I hope once you adjust the lamps and change the substrate these issues will resolve on its own. Daily bathings (at least 15 minutes) can be beneficial too. With a new substrate you can easily bring the humidity to a recommended range of 40-70% (just damp substrate will work its magic).

Please, keep us updated!
Hi, I have ordered the substrate you and someone else recommended very thank full for that! I do also give it daily bathing, I gave one today and made sure to get his eyes a bit and they seem a lot better after but afterwards I did see bubbles around its eyes? Is that normal after a bath? They haven't been continuous just after that one bath for about 5mins maybe less. Tomorrow I have work and luckily I work next to a reptile shop, I’ll see if I can find the other lamp you recommended. I really appreciate the help and will get some better measurements for you :)

Mllx_yy

Bedfordshire
Best wishes
Angie
Thank you so much I will definitely buy some of it and give it a go :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Below the first pic says SPOT bulb. The second pic says Flood bulb
You want one that says Flood, not Spot.
Screenshot_20240511-152823.pngScreenshot_20240511-152753.png

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi, I have ordered the substrate you and someone else recommended very thank full for that! I do also give it daily bathing, I gave one today and made sure to get his eyes a bit and they seem a lot better after but afterwards I did see bubbles around its eyes? Is that normal after a bath? They haven't been continuous just after that one bath for about 5mins maybe less. Tomorrow I have work and luckily I work next to a reptile shop, I’ll see if I can find the other lamp you recommended. I really appreciate the help and will get some better measurements for you :)
Hi! I wouldn't worry if it happens after bathing (it's not common, though). Keep us updated on changes!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
A great tool to have for knowing the temp in different areas of the enclosure. Is a infrared temp gun, you can get instant temps in different areas.
Just don't point at the eyes of anyone or any animal. You can also get the surface temp of your tort. If you get a duel mode gun. Surface or body option. Use the surface settings. If using to see if you are running a temperature use body option.
Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg
This style unit only measures surface. But is a good unit and not expensive.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope you have removed all the sand. Glad he is improving!