hours of lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatsacut

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have on adult russian (wc) and one baby russian. I just got the baby (cb) and I am keeping them separate for now. I am having the adult checked by a vet tomorrow but we recently had one die so I want to have this one checked out before putting them together. I just started using the t-rex UV bulb, 150 watt, that provides heat and UV. I have this over the adult and I have a ReptiSun 100 watt UV over the baby. My question is how many hours a day are they suppose to be on? I have been leaving them on during the day and turning them off at night. Do they need additional heat at night or is room temp ok?
thanks for any advice, I am still learning.
Julie

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
hi julie, welcome to TFO
generally, i try to mimic the natural sunlight hours. i use an automatic timer for both my heat lamps and my UV lamp. at night i use a heat element to keep the ambient temps up. other russian tort owners here will be able to give you a better idea on what your exact temps should be.
im going to move this thread to the russian forum...i think it will get more attention there.

mayo1985

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thatsacut said:
I have on adult russian (wc) and one baby russian. I just got the baby (cb) and I am keeping them separate for now. I am having the adult checked by a vet tomorrow but we recently had one die so I want to have this one checked out before putting them together. I just started using the t-rex UV bulb, 150 watt, that provides heat and UV. I have this over the adult and I have a ReptiSun 100 watt UV over the baby. My question is how many hours a day are they suppose to be on? I have been leaving them on during the day and turning them off at night. Do they need additional heat at night or is room temp ok?
thanks for any advice, I am still learning.
Julie

i have got a horsefield tort and i read that you should give them 14 hourse light and 10 hours night. take a look at this site i found everything i needed from there http://www.thetortoiseshop.com/basic_care/accommodation.phtml

alan

Status
Not open for further replies.