Housing different species

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaTurtle517

5 Year Member
Hello, this is my first post and I really need help with this. I have a baby Sulcata who is a month old. I was hoping to get a new pet soon, a Ball Python, but my mom said I can get another tort instead. First issue; I can't choose, second; can a Leapord, Indian Star, or Greek (or even Pancake) be housed together with my Sulcata? Thank you so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Species should not be mixed. Just use a second enclosure and let them live happily ever after.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
No! Species should never be put with other species. Torts are solitary animals and neither enjoy company or need company. If you already have a sulcata, I would either get another one, but house it separately, or, if you choose another species, he would have to be housed separately. Either way, you'll need to separate them.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't believe in mixing tortoise species. Some tortoises vary bacteria and parasites that are non lethal to their species, but could quickly kill another. Also, tortoises show aggression to other tortoises. Male/female are equally as aggressive. I have a 8 inch female sulcata that will ram into my much smaller tortoises if given the chance. I would just stick to your one or build an entirely separate enclosure if you really want another. Just remember that you'll have to have two of everything, including large outdoor enclosures for them both, especially a sulcata.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I believe I would just stick with 1 tortoise for now. I hope you have read up on how big of an area you will need just for 1 Sulcata. I only mention this because you said your mom said you could get another. Does she know how big a full grown Sulcata gets? Best of luck to you.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry but as the other good people said we don't mix different tortoises to gether

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Agree with above. Although some people have done it successfully it is a big risk and not recommended for the health of your tortoises or wallet in case of lots of vet visits.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I am not bothered with mixing species of the same continent and who get to similar sizes. My mum and her friend did it successfully back in South Africa with the confiscated torts who could not be released back into the wild. There are some members who are very against it and it can be understandable with parasites and bacterias differing from species to species. In the end it is a very personal choice. If you do get another one pick an African species that gets to the same size so there is no bullying over food and such because of size different(my mum get the smaller to medium species since her friend had a flatter yard, so she kept the larger African species)

There were never die out from introducing new torts(not sure if they quarantined as well) and never was there any bullying that could ever be seen from the torts as well, but that is probably because they had nice large yards for plenty grazing so no fights had to occur over food.

Sullys do get large though, so make sure you have plenty of room for your sully first.

SeaTurtle517

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of your answers! I think I'm just going to get a Ball Python, simply because I don't have room for another tort table ):

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
I think that's a wise choice. Just don't let it make lunch out of your sully!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, I agree with all above that says not to mix species. That said, p,ease read Toms threads at the bottom of his and my post. The great way of raising a healthy, smooth sulcata.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Remember 20or 30 years ago we feed ant eggs to those dollar turtles and kept them in a little dish on the table for the kids to play with while they ate . So a lot has changed . Now almost everybody says don't mix the different tortoises. I think I would listen to them. But I only have 14 years raising tortoises. Good luck and thank you for listening

SeaTurtle517

5 Year Member
Well thank you guys for the advice! Oh, and don't you worry, that snake won't be going anywhere near my little Sully, it's my baby:)

Status
Not open for further replies.