Can sulcata tortoise hatchlings be housed together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan454

5 Year Member
Can sulcata Tortoise hatchlings be housed together without any problems, and if so how long until they start fighting over territory? I have one hatchling( well 6 months now) and would like to get another one. I am currently housing him in a 40 gallon terrarium. Any info would help. Thanks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
The honest answer is yes they can be housed together without any problems and no they can not be housed together without problems. :p :D I am sorry, but there is just no one answer to this issue.

It will depend on your animals. Some tortoises get along with whomever they are put in with and some need to always be by themselves because they have social issues, just like with any animals. Usually it will help, if the two are equal in size. Then it also increases your chances of compatibility, if both are the same sex. Next the size of the enclosure, of course the bigger the space the better. Also within this enclosure the more hides, plants, and other sight barriers the better.

If you do decide to get another sulcata, you must always be ready for them to not "like" each other and have the room for a second separate enclosure. If you would not have room for this, then don't get the second animal. Room not only now, but in the future, when they become large.

Two tortoises also, seem to have more issues then three. Simply because there is only one other tortoise to bully, instead of spreading the bullying behavior out to others. Some of this bullying you may not even notice as it is more subtle, almost mental bullying. It may be who gets the best spot at the food dish or the best basking spot.

My suggestion is stick with the one you have. If you want another one, set up another spot for it.

The question does come to mind of why are you wanting a second one? Just enjoying the first one so much? Thinking future breeding? Thinking your little tank is lonely?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
We didn't have problems with our 2 Sullies being raise together.... till both males hit puberty.... about 7 years, then the fighting was brutal! We had to re-home one of our boys at great heartbreak for Cathie.

It's kinda a toss of the dice since you cant sex hatchling Torts and like every species, you have some (like WalkingRock) that are just plan ol' anti-social. (with other torts)

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have eight 6 year olds still cohabitating kindly; I hope seven is not the unlucky age because I would love to see them get along for longer : (((( they are also all female so that may contribute to their peacefulness, not sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said it best. 100% agreement!

Katherine, I did not know that you had that many, or that they were all female, or that they are all the same age... Sorry. Off topic. I'll send a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.