Housing

t.ren.t

So I might be getting a sulcata tortoise and I was wondering if it would be okay to house one outside in Oregon. Our summers are just as hot as southern California but fall and winter... not so much. It rains a lot during those seasons and I know that's not good for burrowing. Would it be okay to get one or not?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I might be getting a sulcata tortoise and I was wondering if it would be okay to house one outside in Oregon. Our summers are just as hot as southern California but fall and winter... not so much. It rains a lot during those seasons and I know that's not good for burrowing. Would it be okay to get one or not?

Hello and welcome. Any tortoise can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, effort and money. Its really a question of what is practical, and how much time, effort and money you want to sacrifice for the next few decades.

When they are little I like to have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure for them. I put hatchlings outside for a short time in fair weather and keep them inside the rest of the time. As they gain size, I leave them out longer and longer during fair weather, and keep them inside the rest of the time. Once they reach 8-10 inches (usually between one and two years), I move them outside full time with a heated shelter. Like this one, for example: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/ I live in a warm, sunny area. We get 80 degree days in the middle of winter sometimes. It is at this point and beyond that you would likely begin to experience problems with a hungry, active , roaming, destructive, incredibly strong, giant. What will you do with a 50 or 100 pound tortoise during that 6 months of every year where its too cold for a tropical reptile to roam around outside in a large enclosure? Mine use burrows to escape our intense summer heat, but I have to close off the burrows every fall and make them use their night houses. The heated night box system works fine for me as it gets them through the cold nights and they can all come out, bask in the sun and roam around the next day, but what will your large tortoise do all day when it can't come out to bask, roam and graze?

People do keep them in colder climates, but I wouldn't. I'd keep other species with smaller space and food requirements that could hibernate the winter away.

Here is the standard sulcata info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

t.ren.t

Oh okay thank you. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should by a tortoise? Obviously not places like Petsmart and Petco though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh okay thank you. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should by a tortoise? Obviously not places like Petsmart and Petco though.

Breeders here on this forums are generally a good place to start. Most of the people here know what they are doing and start their babies right.

When you narrow down your choice of species, we can point you to people who really know that species well.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Is a sulcata what you want or will another species be acceptable?

t.ren.t

Is a sulcata what you want or will another species be acceptable?
I would like a bigger species of tortoise. Sulcata tortoises when they are young I have found to be generally cheap as oppose to others. If not a sulcata I would like a leopard tortoise.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :)

I believe that a tort can be kept anywhere, so long as the owner takes good care of him/her.;) A nutritious diet, daily soaks in warm water, enough sun, warmth, humidity, the necessary lamps and a LARGE enough enclosure.:tort:

I for one live in Jordan where in Winter we "FREEZE." :( I've had Oli :<3: (my Greek tort) is concerned. I've had him for 5.5 years; and all is fine so far, thank GOD.:D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would like a bigger species of tortoise. Sulcata tortoises when they are young I have found to be generally cheap as oppose to others. If not a sulcata I would like a leopard tortoise.
I am in WI and am dedicated to my new sulcata. She will be outside in summer, inside in winter. However, I do have huge outbuildings and can afford to do whatever I want. That does make a difference.

I would just do a pros/ cons list over the two species and choose the best one.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the Forum.
I agree, anything is possible if you do your research and get your set up right first.