How’s my Baby Sulcata look?

zbever

Location (City and/or State)
Fairhope, AL
Hello I have had Tobias for about four months now. We do almost daily soaks with feedings of turnip greens daily with hay pellets daily. How does his shell look? I am worried of pyramiding. Any physical observations and advice would be much appreciated! Tobias stays out side during the day (weather permitting) in an large sand box enclosure and at night in a small indoor enclosure.
IMG_3618.jpgIMG_3619.jpgIMG_3622.jpgIMG_3623.jpgIMG_3624.jpg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I wouldn't keep Tobias outside for any more that 30-60 minutes per day. The rest of the time, it should be housed in a humid enclosure. Also, I'm not a big fan of keeping them in sand either. Too dry for one thing, Very irritating to skin and eyes as well. If the sand were to be ingested, not good for their digestive system. I can see a bit of pyramiding in the pics. Nothing to be alarmed about though. Just make sure you place it in a very humid enclosure, give it its daily soaks, and administer the proper nutrition. I'm not familiar with hay pellets, but sullies need a good variety of fresh greens, not just just turnip greens. Have you read the diet sheet yet? If not, here it is:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

zbever

Fairhope, AL
The sand box does not contain sand. To clarify it as a layer of reptile mulch. I live in south Alabama with very very humid weather! Today the humidity was 93%. I will add more leafy greens to the diet. The hay pellets come dry and compact. You add warm water to them and make it almost like a mush. I keep this available to him all day and offer the leafy greens once a day after his soak.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Great! About the sand box.... do you have some kind of protection on top of it to keep predators out? I worry about that with mine since there's so many hawks and raccoons running around here.