How active should my tortoise be?

DovySim

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Is it normal for a tortoise to just sleep throughout the whole day? She comes out in the morning and roams around until I give her her food and then she either goes to sleep in her hide or under the basking bulb. She will usually wake up again and finish the rest of her food and then go straight back to sleep.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Is it normal for a tortoise to just sleep throughout the whole day? She comes out in the morning and roams around until I give her her food and then she either goes to sleep in her hide or under the basking bulb. She will usually wake up again and finish the rest of her food and then go straight back to sleep.
It is normal for a tortoise to sleep 16 hours a day. They are more active if the temperature is right. What is the temp and humidity of your enclosure? Also what type of tortoise do you have?and how old is He/She?

DovySim

Ireland
I'm not an expert on Russians or for that matter any tortoise really. So I actually dont know if thats too small I think it is but I'll call some friends of mine to help out. @Tom @wellington and.... I'll come back and call some more Russian tortoise experts once I go find what their names are. 😂
I think it's maybe a bit too small but it's the best I can do for now.

DovySim

Ireland
Okay. Do you have an outdoor enclosure for your tortoise?
I live in ireland currently so there's no way I can bring the tortoise outside apart from a few weeks during summer. I don't think it's the enclosure as there is still lots of space for her to roam around and she isn't all that big. To be honest she was always like this. There are a few days during the week where she is more active than usual.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure is too small. Minimum for an adult is 4x8 feet.
The enclosure temp should be 95 basking but then 80 down to 75 in the test of it. Not lower then 60 at night.
When enclosures are too small it's hard to get the different areas of temps. In the wild they roam a very big area. The size enclosures you have is for a hatchling to around a year or two.
Post pic of enclosure and we can help with ideas of how to cheaply add on the needed space.

DovySim

Ireland
The enclosure is too small. Minimum for an adult is 4x8 feet.
The enclosure temp should be 95 basking but then 80 down to 75 in the test of it. Not lower then 60 at night.
When enclosures are too small it's hard to get the different areas of temps. In the wild they roam a very big area. The size enclosures you have is for a hatchling to around a year or two.
Post pic of enclosure and we can help with ideas of how to cheaply add on the needed space.
20220412_195511.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have room to make it bigger without having to go up, you can either remove one board and add on.
Or cut an opening in one board that she can fit thru and then attach a kiddie pool, large plastic storage tote box, portable pop up greenhouse or pretty much anything you can think of. You can use a tarp for a floor if the item doesnt have one.

DovySim

Ireland
I just wanted to say that's really cute, but I think there's too much light...you have a tube and 2 hanging? One is a che? I think he's being bombarded with too much light...
One of the lights is for basking and the other one thats higher up is a mercury bulb for d3 and it produces some heat but not alot. Do I turn the tube off?