How big

AsaGarcia03

How big does a 5" sulcata enclosure need to be? And can anyone provide pics of their enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Don't build it to the 5" size of your tortoise. They don't stay that size for very long at all.

Are you talking indoors or outside? I would make it as big as possible with expansion in mind.

Dudley has lived here since he was 35lbs. There's a fence down the middle just to give him more area to have to move through. In order to get to the left side of his yard, he has to come towards the camera and around the fence:

Dudley's Yard 3-10-14.jpg

AsaGarcia03

Don't build it to the 5" size of your tortoise. They don't stay that size for very long at all.

Are you talking indoors or outside? I would make it as big as possible with expansion in mind.

Dudley has lived here since he was 35lbs. There's a fence down the middle just to give him more area to have to move through. In order to get to the left side of his yard, he has to come towards the camera and around the fence:

View attachment 166056
Indoor enclosure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can start with a Christmas Tree Storage Bin made by Iris. It's about 2'x4'. But it's not really big enough for a tortoise that size. Here's a rescued leopard tortoise I have in the bin and you can see, he's way too big for the bin:

christmas tree bin a.jpg Christmas tree bin b.jpg

If I were going to keep this tortoise, I would set him up outside with a heated shelter. He's too big to live indoors (in my opinion).