Indoor enclosure size question

Boris&Nellie

Location (City and/or State)
Burlington vt
I saw a thread with pics of two rubbermaid bins merged together for an indoor enclosure. The enclosure was for a baby tort, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how big the bins would need to be to house 1 or 2 five yr old russians?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
One adult russian (which is like 8'') needs around a 4x8 area of space... It just depends on how big your torts are :D
Do they live together? Tortoises and some turtles don't get along :confused:

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
you don't want to house 2 russian's together you'll have dominate issues

but it's best to provide as big as you can tort's especially russian's are wanderer's they love to wander around

Boris&Nellie

Burlington vt
Yes, I adopted a pair and I was told they were 4 years old, not quite mature yet (right?) The previous owner had no previous problem with them getting along but I am starting to see sign of aggression so I am trying to re-home one of them.....so I have 2 right now but that is subject to change. They are about 5-6 inches

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No, not mature yet :D Russian tort males will can reach 'maturity' at as little as 4.5'' (credit to guille24) but most take a bit longer... Yes, russians are just evil when it comes to sharing space! :(

Tyanna

Wisconsin
The SMALLEST size recommended is 4x8. You want to give them as big of a space possible. I found easy ways to make the space necessary for my tortoise is to build more "stories" or floors in his enclosure so it takes up way less space. He can also climb and have tons of fun that way, too!

Boris&Nellie

Burlington vt
What is the largest size (and cheapest) plastic storage bin out there?

And Tyanna, do you have any pics of your setup? Sounds great!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Christmas tree storage bins, and cement mixers are about as big and cheap as you can get! Usually they are way longer than most staoge bins, and if you cruise about, they can be found for a much cheaper price than many smaller ones, too. Unfortunately, you'll never find a tree bin 4x8, but I'll bet you can makeshift a few into a big area ;)
Cement mixers are large and tall, perfect for most juvenile tortoises.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Be sure to post pics when ya do! I love seeing other ideas and ways I can make my enclosure better/bigger!