How can I “spice up” or enrich my tort’s enclosure?

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I promise you it’s even bigger than it looks from this angle. It’s about 8’ by 4’ but since my tort is in the forefront it looks way smaller. You could actually line up like 12 Delilahs (lol) from front to back to go from one side to the other of the enclosure.

She’s got a log she climbs on (too small for her to go under as she’s huge for a Russian). She spends a lot of time digging or basking under her lamp, as well as eating lol.

I’ve been told a bunch of times not to add plants to her enclosure because they’ll have pesticides—then I see a ton of enclosures with plants! I don’t know what to do....

Also anything DIY or cheaper is appreciated!DEF9C19A-3295-43C8-82EF-5B5C6D9A7953.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises don't want spice and variety. They want the same old familiar stuff day after day. New surroundings and even re-arranging their enclosure is stressful for them. Your tortoise needs a hide, a sunken water bowl large enough to climb into, and a bigger food tray. You should remove the ramped bowl. Those are hazardous for tortoises.

Plants will be eaten or trampled unless they are in pots and out of reach. Store bough plants are grown with systemic pesticides, so if you want some you need to grow your own from seed, or use cuttings from long established older plants, or just use long established older plants that haven't had any pesticides added for a few years.

Illinois
Tortoises don't want spice and variety. They want the same old familiar stuff day after day. New surroundings and even re-arranging their enclosure is stressful for them. Your tortoise needs a hide, a sunken water bowl large enough to climb into, and a bigger food tray. You should remove the ramped bowl. Those are hazardous for tortoises.

Plants will be eaten or trampled unless they are in pots and out of reach. Store bough plants are grown with systemic pesticides, so if you want some you need to grow your own from seed, or use cuttings from long established older plants, or just use long established older plants that haven't had any pesticides added for a few years.
Totally understand. Though I’ve been told by others I should break up the line of sight along her enclosure by things that will “enrich” her a little. I just don’t know what to really “believe”. She never seems bored, she’s always got digging to do. But I wi get a better water bowl and hide. Also I’m going to buy some slate so she’ll be able to trim her beak while she eats.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I love sight barriers. I give them to all my critters (not just the tort). And I looooove designing/decorating enclosures.

I wouldn't rearrange the scenery constantly or anything. But placing some large rocks, a big branch or 2 and a "potted something" & then sticking with it would be beneficial IMO.

If you need inspiration, Google some outdoor images and then try to recreate what you see. I do that and find it helpful.

Use a terra cotta saucer for water too. They're a fav to many. (& only cost, like$2)

Wash any rocks/logs you find with a vinegar solution & sun dry or a part bleach solution if you prefer.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A few more boulders strategically placed around the edges (don’t over do it) will add the sight barriers you are seeking. Just be careful so u arent providing a step ladder for escape. A few spider plants (keep in pot and sink it in the substrste) will also add some foliage.

Id remove the log and build a proper nice hide.

Happy torting

Reactions: Tom

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Totally understand. Though I’ve been told by others I should break up the line of sight along her enclosure by things that will “enrich” her a little. I just don’t know what to really “believe”. She never seems bored, she’s always got digging to do. But I wi get a better water bowl and hide. Also I’m going to buy some slate so she’ll be able to trim her beak while she eats.

If your tort is content....let it be. If it is not broke, don't F with it.....I agree with Tom on his info.