How cold is to cold?

argus333

5 Year Member
Ok I live in coastal central n j temps at night have been in mid to upper 30s with 50 to 68 in daytime. I have to sulcatas both about a ft long. They have 4ft x 6ft heated insulated shed to go in heated by ceramic bulb and pig blanket. It ranges from 65 to 88 in there. A copple of the coldest days/nights I brought them in but want to let them enjoy outside as long as possible. How long do u colder climate guys keep ur sulcatas out? There pretty good about going out to eat then back inside on cold days.

mikeh

5 Year Member
On a day like today with no wind, in NNJ the black pavement still got luke warm to touch, I'd think they can be out to graze during the peak sun hours without any worries.

argus333

5 Year Member
Pen is blocked from wind and has full sun almost all day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as you can provide a shed for them to go too and warm up and to go under a basking light, they could be left to go in and out most likely most of the winter.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Your heated she'd is the main answer to your question. Provided the temp does stay in the 75-85 range at night, I feel they should be fine. Also, easy access to heated box during the day is crucial. Mine come and go into theirs all day long and at night they just button themselves up inside. They do this also on the colder days we get. With a heated box, I make sure water is always available for them out in the pen, in that I'm concerned of the drying conditions of the heated box.

argus333

5 Year Member
Ya I just bring them in on the cold wet days, just was wondering what u guys do.