How deep to make the substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauronofmordor

5 Year Member
So I changed my RT's substrate from rabbit pellets to topsoil. I know RTs love to burrow, but I don't want to put too much soil in. So how deep should I make the substrate?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There's no such thing as too deep, is there? Deep enough to nest, anyway. And you may want to add sand to the soil.

Lovenmysuber

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
US
My RTs substrate is about 3 inches, but I am going to make the one end where he sleeps deeper.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
My substrate is around three inches deep, except 1/4th of it. There it is around four or so inches deep. And topsoil is a great choice for substrate. I use it mixed with coco coir.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
In the outdoor enclosures, I've pulled the torts out of burrows they made that were 2ft deep. So the short answer: there is no such thing as too deep. You probably want to make sure that there is enough of an edge around the top that the tortoise can't climb out. Beyond that - deeper is better! I like to put hills and valleys in the substrate - one area in the indoor RT table (which is empty all summer cuz they are outside) is 10" deep. The rest is 5-7", unless the torts have dug it to be more shallow.

sauronofmordor said:
So I changed my RT's substrate from rabbit pellets to topsoil. I know RTs love to burrow, but I don't want to put too much soil in. So how deep should I make the substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.