How do i administer drugs by mouth (with needleless syringe)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batchick

5 Year Member
I've just come back from the vet with Ned who has parasites. The vet gave me a couple of viles of drugs to squirt into his mouth. Any advice on how to do this. He's not a handled tortoise and has only recently started taking food from me. He just pulled his head in at the vets and wouldn't be coaxed out. Better in the morning before he gets fully warmed up? Techniques? Tricks?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I can't give you tips for dealing with a 'non handled' tortoise, but I can definitely suggest having a helper for this! One person to open the mouth, and one person to squirt the medicine in. It makes a huge difference!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I pretend to hand feed a cactus pad and when the mouth opens to take a bite I squirt it in. I could never pry any of my torts mouths open so that is how I do it. Or if this doesn't work ask for the pill form and hide it in a strawberry / Or the powder form and sprinkle it on a piece of watermelon.
Good luck, giving meds is very stressful!!!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
CtTortoiseMom said:
I pretend to hand feed a cactus pad and when the mouth opens to take a bite I squirt it in. I could never pry any of my torts mouths open so that is how I do it. Or if this doesn't work ask for the pill form and hide it in a strawberry / Or the powder form and sprinkle it on a piece of watermelon.
Good luck, giving meds is very stressful!!!

That is how I did it as well. I used a dry piece of Mazuri so that when she bit it, her mouth was wedged open and I could squirt it in and gently tilt her head/neck up so the meds goes down the gullet. The vet had told me to pry her mouth open and, well, that did NOT work for either of us.

batchick

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I managed to ambush him with a hibiscus flower. As he went to bite it, I seized the moment. I managed to get it all in his mouth and what he spat out, I wiped onto the hibiscus flower and he ate it. Now to repeat the same trick in three week's time.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
batchick said:
Thanks for the advice. I managed to ambush him with a hibiscus flower. As he went to bite it, I seized the moment. I managed to get it all in his mouth and what he spat out, I wiped onto the hibiscus flower and he ate it. Now to repeat the same trick in three week's time.

That is great!! I was not that good on my 1st 2nd or 3rd try, haha!!

batchick

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
That is great!! I was not that good on my 1st 2nd or 3rd try, haha!!

I'm sure all the advice made all the difference.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, glad it worked out for you.i didnt know you had to be so sneaky, i just learned something new again on tfo.

Status
Not open for further replies.