Tortoise foaming at mouth!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Ok...I freaked out...Went to the vet. My tortoise junior was foaming at the mouth!!!!! I've never seen this before ever!! I called the office & said I think my tort has a respiratory infection & the vet looked at him & stated the same thing & is giving me meds for my tort. She was very quick to examine him & stated she believed that it was a respiratory infection due to his head movement! What if it's not respiratory related at all? What if it's dehydration or something else? She didn't even open my torts mouth! What if it's mulch stuck in its throat?!? But s/he has been eating and acting normal. The only thing is junior stays under the MVB way more than the other torts. With my temp gun it's reading at 95 degrees & the cooler side is 78. There is no open mouth breathing & no foaming or draining from the nasal area. Once in a while large bubbles come out from his mouth. The vet gave me baytril & meloxicam. I don't even want to administer either one of these meds at all! I'm waiting for them to call me about the fecal exam. My tortoise has not ate anything toxic, only the food I've given them. I don't ever put my torts out to roam in the house! I will be giving him daily warm soaks, he is about 8 1/2 inches. Has anyone else experienced foaming issues? I went to the vet hoping to see the good vet I usually see, but apparently he's no longer there...image.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Foaming at the mouth is usually a sign of over heating, it could also be from ingesting something toxic. An RI, doesn't cause foaming. Any nasal discharge? loss of appetite? lethargic?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I was thinking over heating too...I was researching like crazy!!! No loss of appetite, no nasal discharge, and maybe a wee lethargic. Where should I have my temp at?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is your tortoise a red foot? if so 95 may be a bit to hot, but he does have a cool side, so he should be able to regulate himself.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Yes a red foot, but has a cool side, but for some reason he has been the only tort that has been seeking an increase in basking WAY more than the other torts. I'm very concerned!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would hold off on the meds. I have never heard of foaming being a sign of an RI. Your vet doesn't seem to know what she/he is talking about. I would be Leary of going back there. I would give your tort and long warm soak and maybe lower the basking temo a little and see how he does. @Yvonne G may be able to offer more help. Good luck and keep us posted.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I would hold off on the meds. I have never heard of foaming being a sign of an RI. Your vet doesn't seem to know what she/he is talking about. I would be Leary of going back there. I would give your tort and long warm soak and maybe lower the basking temo a little and see how he does. @Yvonne G may be able to offer more help. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you...I won't be giving any meds as I can't believe how fast she was with my tort & she barely asked me any questions & examined my tort so fast!! I immediately thought it was a respiratory issue, but after doing some research, it appears it's not likey?!? I was scared to death when I saw my baby though!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When she? Is feeling better, post a pic of the underside, tail area, and her size and age and we can make a good guess for you.
Unfortunately, most vets don't have a clue about tortoises.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I agree with everything Barb and Cap'n Awesome said.

I don't think your vet has a clue. So sad that they were willing to take your money and subject your tortoise to those meds...
Image what happens on a daily basis...vets administering meds & not even really sure, can take a turn for the worst when really all I probably need is water!!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't have any basking area for my reds . I keep the enclosure at 80/85 and keep the humidity around 85 /90 % . I have a big water bowl for them to soak in . Works out great for them . Their eyes are never watery and they never whistle when breathing . I think s/he over heated .

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I don't have any basking area for my reds . I keep the enclosure at 80/85 and keep the humidity around 85 /90 % . I have a big water bowl for them to soak in . Works out great for them . Their eyes are never watery and they never whistle when breathing . I think s/he over heated .
I'm thinking overheated too after researching the forum :( I've never had this issue before...I will adjust my temps & up the soaks & see how it goes from there. I really wish I lived in a warmer state!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm thinking overheated too after researching the forum :( I've never had this issue before...I will adjust my temps & up the soaks & see how it goes from there. I really wish I lived in a warmer state!!!

Just keep in mind that the temp should not ever fall below 80 anywhere nor anytime.....with the high humidity an all....

Alaskamike

South Florida
I had this foaming bubbles out the mouth once with a yr old leopard tortoise. In that case the temps had dropped to 60f overnight , it had rained, and I found him outside of his heated hide in those temps in the morning. When I picked him up his shell was cold.
I took him inside and slowly heated him back up till his shell was up to 85. I then soaked him in 90f water.

Never saw bubbles again. Now the little ones are inside at night. I thought he might be a goner. My fault, I thought they would stay in the heated hide till it's warmed up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you've over reacted a bit. I wouldn't give the antibiotics, as they would do nothing for your tortoise at this time. Foaming at the mouth might mean over heating, eating something toxic, calcium deficiency...but I really doubt it has anything to do with anything cured with antibiotics.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think you've over reacted a bit. I wouldn't give the antibiotics, as they would do nothing for your tortoise at this time. Foaming at the mouth might mean over heating, eating something toxic, calcium deficiency...but I really doubt it has anything to do with anything cured with antibiotics.
More vet guess work?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well when my tortoises mouth was foaming, I don't think that's over reacting. It didn't last for two seconds. But I appreciate your feedback Yvonne. I have never experienced this issue & it was quite frightening!!! I will not be administering the medicine. I was just shocked that the vet never even looked in my torts mouth. The last 2 days there was foaming & bubbling, not much yesterday, but on Sat, it was bad. However I've been doing soaks & adjusted the temps & so far today there has been nothing...Calcium wise, Junior has cuttlebones at all times in his enclosure & nibbles on them. Also I do put calcium on my torts food. I did do an extensive search on the forum & it sounds like junior may have been over heated. I'm hoping that's it! But yeah I guess I shouldn't of went to the vet...lot of $$$. But I wanted to be safe than sorry!