How do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
First, huge apologies for not posting pictures of Cap the bearded dragon. I'm a terrible lizard mama, I know, I know. I will someday, but with school (and therefore work) in session now. I'm crazier with my time then usual.

How do I know if he's happy, mad at me, gonna bite me, or happy to chill?
He puffs out little bits of air, not quite a hiss. Then he runs toward my face! This is disturbing to me. I know I'll learn lizard body language after a while, but the air puffing is really making me wonder. His body does not puff up, nor his beard. He just opens his mouth a bit...any thoughts?

I've asked on the beardie forum, but haven't gotten any responses. The search engine did not turn up the things I wanted to know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sometimes they feel threatened by the giant predator on the other side of the glass. Most beardies are great, but I have seen a few that were very aggressive and or fearful. How is he when you handle him and how old/big is he?

Usually time and gentle handling will tame them down. A full belly helps settle them too.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Tom, this noise is only when I'm holding him. Maybe he is overstimulated by all the activity in my house and just needs to acclimate? He's never tried to bite, charge, or otherwise show aggression. Just these weird little puffs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Without seeing it, it sounds like a little bit of defensive behavior to me. If it stops in a couple of weeks, you can probably assume that s what is was, and that he's settling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.