How do i make sure my tortoises are eating enough?

Lana Dhaou

Location (City and/or State)
United Arab Emirates
I have two baby sulcatas (2 to 3 month old), how often should I feed them? And how do I make sure they're not eating too much or too little? Today, each tortoise ate some grass, a little bite of a cucumber, a tiny bit of aloe vera (I don't feed it to them very often) and half a lettuce, they absolutely love the letucce they are lots of it, is that too much or too little or just right?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Make sure there is always food available. Tortoises are grazers, and whenever they are hungry they eat. We shouldn't restrict that by limiting their food. There isn't a specific amount, just make sure there is enough where it can eat throughout the day whenever it wants.

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
Make sure there is always food available. Tortoises are grazers, and whenever they are hungry they eat. We shouldn't restrict that by limiting their food. There isn't a specific amount, just make sure there is enough where it can eat throughout the day whenever it wants.

Ok, so they only eat enough for their needs right? Should I worry that they can eat too much or they only eat the correct amount for them?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Tortoise will not overeat. YOu should check their weights regularly to ensure they are getting enough and showing a regular weight gain. IF they go a month with no weight gain - you know you have a problem.

The diet you list is not a good diet at all for sulcatas. Additionally, if you are keeping the two tortoises together, there is a problem - pairs don't work well. ONe tortoise will be more dominant and the other constantly submissive wanting to get away from the other. IT is not over bullying, but a low grade stress that is very hard on the tortoises. The submissive one will just not grow as fast and not do as well. It's suppressed immune system will leave it much more susceptible to illness. You really should house them separately.

Please read this care sheet as it is the only source of the latest and best information on how to successfully raise a sulcata. Come back with any questions after you read it.

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
Tortoise will not overeat. YOu should check their weights regularly to ensure they are getting enough and showing a regular weight gain. IF they go a month with no weight gain - you know you have a problem.

The diet you list is not a good diet at all for sulcatas. Additionally, if you are keeping the two tortoises together, there is a problem - pairs don't work well. ONe tortoise will be more dominant and the other constantly submissive wanting to get away from the other. IT is not over bullying, but a low grade stress that is very hard on the tortoises. The submissive one will just not grow as fast and not do as well. It's suppressed immune system will leave it much more susceptible to illness. You really should house them separately.

Please read this care sheet as it is the only source of the latest and best information on how to successfully raise a sulcata. Come back with any questions after you read it.

Thank you I already read this care guide before but I read it again, my torts are not fighting, or bullying, they do everything separately, they eat alone, they play alone, they bask alone, and they sleep in different corners, I already have information about not keeping them in pairs, they are ok now and when they're not ok, I won't wait one moment and will immediately separate the enclosures, also, no tort is eating less than the other, they are both thriving, playing, walking around, eating, so long, and doing everything a tort does, one is a little shy while the other is more energetic, I don't think it's a sign of "dominance" because he was very hyper in the pet store too, while the other one was quite and not hyper, that's just their personality, also the quite one doesn't like to soak, while the energetic one soaks for hours!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Just wanted to say that everyone who starts off with two baby torts like Sulcatas or Russians....says the same thing. They cuddle, they have separate areas, they eat separately, etc. Soon, they will possibly comment that one is much smaller than the other. One eats, one doesnt. Bullying by torts isnt something one sees or notices right away. It happens over time. There are so many factors here..... Trust the Forum’s knowledge base and experience. Why invent the wheel, but in this case the suffering of the “weaker/smaller” Sully. Trust the Forum - bullying is a known, it’s science, it’s animal nature to compete & rule the kingdom they live in. The Bully wins.

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
Greetings. Just wanted to say that everyone who starts off with two baby torts like Sulcatas or Russians....says the same thing. They cuddle, they have separate areas, they eat separately, etc. Soon, they will possibly comment that one is much smaller than the other. One eats, one doesnt. Bullying by torts isnt something one sees or notices right away. It happens over time. There are so many factors here..... Trust the Forum’s knowledge base and experience. Why invent the wheel, but in this case the suffering of the “weaker/smaller” Sully. Trust the Forum - bullying is a known, it’s science, it’s animal nature to compete & rule the kingdom they live in. The Bully wins.

I'm not sure..... Lots of people on this forum said they keep 2 sulcatas together and they're fine, I'll attach a picture (also just as a note, they weren't talking to me they were talking to someone else whos having problems with their sulcatas fighting) if you notice, he/she said two sulcatas can live together with no problem, thank you do much for trying to look out for my tortoises' health, but some people like this person right here disagrees with you??

Screenshot_2020-10-11-19-12-22-750_com.android.chrome.jpg