How do I rehydrate

Conniechiwaaaa

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I have a baby Burmese star tortoise probably a few months old that likes to bask 24/7. He will not go into the hide… I was keeping the temperature on basking site highs 90s humidity above 75%-90%, but since he’s showing signs of dehydration I lowered it to 80s… I’ve been using spagnum moss as substrate.

Today during its bath, it’s urate was almost solid white & gritty . It’s energy is low and barely ate today normally it eats a lot…

I am really concerned, I tried calling the emergency vet and they placed me on a waiting list because every where is so backed up… I gave it cucumber for hydration and I gave it another bath… any more recommendations???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Something is wrong with the enclosure temps.
So tell us what type of enclosure show pics and
What are all the temps?
Get rid of the moss it can cause impaction and entanglement and use orchid bark or coconut coir

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a baby Burmese star tortoise probably a few months old that likes to bask 24/7. He will not go into the hide… I was keeping the temperature on basking site highs 90s humidity above 75%-90%, but since he’s showing signs of dehydration I lowered it to 80s… I’ve been using spagnum moss as substrate.

Today during its bath, it’s urate was almost solid white & gritty . It’s energy is low and barely ate today normally it eats a lot…

I am really concerned, I tried calling the emergency vet and they placed me on a waiting list because every where is so backed up… I gave it cucumber for hydration and I gave it another bath… any more recommendations???
If he is basking all day, that is an indication that ambient temps are not high enough. I keep it no lower than 80 over night with the lights all off, and then into the low 90s during the day with a 100 degree basking area.

Are you using a closed chamber? Humidity should stay well over 80% if you are, and daily warm soaks should keep the tortoise hydrated. Warm water in a warm area and soak for at least 30-40 minutes. 60 minutes will do no harm and might be good in your case.

Where did you get him and how was he started? Most people don't start them correctly. Too dry and too much time outside.

Sphagnum moss should never be used with tortoises. They eat it and it can cause impaction. I don't know who told you to use that, but you should let them know they may have killed your tortoise with that advice. You need to get that out of there ASAP and replace it with fine grade orchid bark. If you can't find cheap bulk orchid bark near you, we have it up here in SCV just a little north of you. Here:

There is a lot of terrible advice out in the world on tortoise care. The internet, FB, YT, vets, most breeders, etc... All bad bad bad. Check this out, and your questions are welcome: