How do you use Heat Cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Yesterday I bought some heat cables to warm up the substrate in my enclosure. Now that I took everything out of it I was about to put the cables in, when I saw the instructions say "do not bury cables in substrate".
What the heck??? I'm fairly certain all the posts about these cables I read on here, had the cable IN the substrate... So now what? Should I do it or am I back to square 1?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 53

mightymizz

5 Year Member
It appears you bought the cables that aren't waterproof. If that is the case, then you would not want to bury them.

More folks will probably chime in here as I myself am fairly new to using heat ropes. I did buy mine from bigappleherp, and many people like them, but my own personal experience with them was lacking.

I know Hydor brand also makes some waterproof cables as well.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
No brand of heat cable made for the pet trade is UL listed for direct burial. Yes, you can bury it.......You would however be liable if the product malfunctions as a direct result of being encased.......

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I would assume that Eric is right here regarding his statement.

I know there are cables that are waterproof and some that aren't. Just make sure you have the waterproof ones if you decide to bury the cable.

Most of us also use either a thermostat and/or cable spacing to regulate the temperatures and on/off time of the cable.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
mightymizz said:
I would assume that Eric is right here regarding his statement.

I know there are cables that are waterproof and some that aren't. Just make sure you have the waterproof ones if you decide to bury the cable.

Most of us also use either a thermostat and/or cable spacing to regulate the temperatures and on/off time of the cable.

It wouldn't matter if it were water proof or not. There is heat cable made for many different applications including direct burial, just not made or marketed for the Pet trade. This is what you want, versus a product that was made with the intention of using a air gap so it doesn't develop hotspots and cause a fire.......

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
They are water-resistant, not waterproof. Im a little wary of burying it against the instructions... I don't know what to do! Try to find ones I can bury, I guess :-/

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
diaboliqueturtle said:
They are water-resistant, not waterproof. Im a little wary of burying it against the instructions... I don't know what to do! Try to find ones I can bury, I guess :-/

Return them and purchase the ones I've shown above. Like I said these are waterproof.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Redstrike said:
Return them and purchase the ones I've shown above. Like I said these are waterproof.

I'll do that. I'd much rather use something appropriate for what I'm doing. I'm in Canada so hopefully I can get the ones you mentioned delivered here. Thanks everyone for the help :)

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I went through my own little ordeal with heat ropes and actually setting them up. Feel free to search for my posts/threads to see if you can glean anything useful or not.

I know there are a couple of other threads as well that gave me ideas.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Here is a good thread about using heat cables. Lots of people use them under substrate (although the company will have a disclaimer). Definitely use a thermostat with the probe near the cable.
The waterproof heat cables in the links above, just seem sturdier. I have had very good luck with the Big Apple Pet supply cables.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-26239.html#axzz2BPUfztV4

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
lynnedit said:
Here is a good thread about using heat cables. Lots of people use them under substrate (although the company will have a disclaimer). Definitely use a thermostat with the probe near the cable.
The waterproof heat cables in the links above, just seem sturdier. I have had very good luck with the Big Apple Pet supply cables.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-26239.html#axzz2BPUfztV4

Thank you! That thread is awesome.
About those cables, they need to be in really wet substrate in order to heat and do their job, correct? How many inches of coco coir on top? And, I have a boxie hatchling that burrows, any risk of her getting burned on the cable?
Sigh. My temps are good all around, I'm just trying to figure out a way to warm up the substrate for the hatchling and the upcoming freezing winter.
I did consider a heat mat but you need to raise the tank in order to use them. I made the tank and although its strong, I'm worried that the glass base isn't thick enough and would crack...
Or maybe I'll just add a CHE running round the clock and raise my MVB. I dunno what to do! Lol

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Chris, your post is GREAT. I couldn't find it, so thanks for posting it.

diab..turtle (lol), I used cypress mulch mixed with soil, about 4-6 inches, on top of my cables. They are zip tied to heavy duty plastic garden fencing, then flipped over. Covered with a single layer of that coconut fiber pot liner. Then substrate. I used the Big Apple pet supply cables, and their thermostat, with the probe zip tied right in with some of the cable, but not touching it.
My torts burrow right down and there has been no issue. They LOVE the cabled area.
Coir would be great, holds moisture well. probably 4-6 inches. I have seen others use a layer of topsoil, about 2", then coir, about 3-4".

The cables will emit warmth no matter what. IF you keep the substrate moist, and add water regularly + mix in, it will also boost your humidity.
You could also use a CHE over the humid hide, as an extra precaution.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Thanks Lynn *high-five*.

So long as you keep the cables moderately spaced apart, they don't get hot enough to burn you. If you coiled it over itself multiple times, it'd get pretty hot. Use the pictures from Lynn & I provided in the links above to get a good idea on spacing the cables.

The heat cables won't provide your enclosure much heat, but they will warm the substrate and boost humidity. My link doesn't show it but I have a 60-watt CHE on the cool end of my enclosure and a 100-watt CHE on the warm, bright end. Both are hooked up to a cheap Zoo Med thermostat. It's working well but you get what you pay for, I'll be looking into a Herpstat soon. I ditched my MVB and put a halogen light on that end for a good CRI. I have a florescent Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 (sits ~20" above them, thus the higher output, a 5.0 wouldn't cut it) in the center of the enclosure where they are fed every morning. They also receive regular outdoor time whenever temperatures are suitable, so I feel UVB is covered without the MVB. No doubt they emit the greatest wavelengths of UVB on the market.

This is simply what is working for me, good luck and let us know if you need more assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.