How fast do redfoots grow?

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I'm building my 7-month-old dude a new enclosure that will hopefully last for at least a couple years. How big are they usually at 2 or so years old? How long until they're full size?

I know the bigger the better, and I have plans for when he's fully grown, but what size enclosure would you personally build for an indoor setup in this situation? Would a 5x5 be suitable, or should it be bigger?

Southernreptiles

5 Year Member
Boca Raton
That’s a hard question to answer. Different locales grow to different sizes as well as different sexes. Also depending on what you’re feeding could change that as well. I like “slow to grow is the way to go”. Growing to quick can usually lead to pyramiding. This is all my opinion based on years of raising tortoises.

I would say around 2 years, they are usually at the 4.5-5 inch mark. It’s variable.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
That’s a hard question to answer. Different locales grow to different sizes as well as different sexes. Also depending on what you’re feeding could change that as well. I like “slow to grow is the way to go”. Growing to quick can usually lead to pyramiding. This is all my opinion based on years of raising tortoises.

I would say around 2 years, they are usually at the 4.5-5 inch mark. It’s variable.
I wasn't aware of this! Thank you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm building my 7-month-old dude a new enclosure that will hopefully last for at least a couple years. How big are they usually at 2 or so years old? How long until they're full size?

I know the bigger the better, and I have plans for when he's fully grown, but what size enclosure would you personally build for an indoor setup in this situation? Would a 5x5 be suitable, or should it be bigger?
3x6ft will do you for a couple of yrs. biggest I’ve had at 2yrs old is about 6”.