How fast does a leopard tortoise grow?

Camo

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur
I'm getting more and more worried about my leopard tortoise's growth.

When I went to a reptile shop just now, the leopard tortoises there are much bigger than mine, and the person there said it is 1+ year old.

Ive gotten my leopard for almost a year now. I didn't record the size, but I think it was around 2.5 inches (shell length) when I first got it. Now its almost 3 inches long (shell length). Is that normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One type of leopard gets bigger then the other. However not likely either one of you have that kind but the more easily available Babcocki/mix kind. They kinda have gotten all mixed together.
How are you housing yours, give all details and what are you feeding it and how much and how often?
My 3 year olds were almost double the size of yours at that age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

When I went to a reptile shop just now, the leopard tortoises there are much bigger than mine, and the person there said it is 1+ year old.

Ive gotten my leopard for almost a year now. I didn't record the size, but I think it was around 2.5 inches (shell length) when I first got it. Now its almost 3 inches long (shell length). Is that normal?
There are many variables that determine growth rate. How they are started is a primary one, and most breeders don't start them correctly. Food, temperatures, hydration and humidity would be other pertinent factors too.

Does your tortoise live alone? The stress of living as a pair will also slow their growth significantly in some cases. Has it had contact with other species? That could do it too.

What do you feed the tortoise?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Hi there,

I have raised a total of 17 leopard tortoises over the years:
The babies that were started in warm, humid conditions grew very rapidly.
The babies that were started in dry, desiccating conditions grew very slowly, if at all. Even after the dry started babies where moved into warm & humid conditions, the survivors maintained a slow growth rate for the ~3 years they were in my care.

My only pet leopard tortoise, Levi just turned 10 last month and he's pretty big. You can see him in my profile picture (I need updated measurements on him). He was started warm and humid and grew quickly.

consider how your source raised the baby and how you are currently housing it and then compare that to my experience. That should help give you an idea.