How frequently should a Sulcata hatchling be fed?

lionheartHC

Location (City and/or State)
OH
I now have my enclosure finished! Ambient temps sticking around 85F and humidity is always between 70% and 80%. Side note, he has a humid hide that stays at 100% humidity. Should I shoot for a constant 80% in the entire enclosure at all times or will 70% suffice? My question is how often should I be feeding him? If I put a handful of food in there, he'll eat during the day several times. Should I be letting him have one big feeding each day and then take away the food? I've read that overfeeding can be a factor in pyramiding so I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Diet is consisting of:
-Mazuri and wheat grass one day a week.
-Wheat grass, hibiscus leaves and dandelion 4 days a week.
-Salad mixed up of mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens and dandelion greens 2 days a week.
-I'm also giving a pinch of calcium twice a week and a pinch of flukers reptile vitamin once a week.

I know weeds are ideal but I unfortunately fertilized my yard in spring before I even considered getting a Sulcata. Next year we'll be good to go.

Along with diet, he gets soaked 30 minutes each morning and 30 minutes towards the end of the day. I'll also spray his shell a few times each day when I'm misting the enclosure. Any advice is appreciated!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome.

Food & “over” feeding have nothing to do with pyramiding.

Pyramiding is caused by LACK of water, humidity & soaking.

Food = good
Water = good
Soaking Daily = good
Wet Substrate = good
Correct Temperatures = good
Heat & Lighting = good

PS - feed daily! grape leaves, grass, mazuri, zucchini, hibiscus leaves & flowers !

Check out your local international market & pick up cactus pads! Your tort will love them. Good for hydration, lubrication and nutrition

Cactus Pads
86FF0D51-12F5-4F93-82B4-CCF4F81BAAAB.jpeg9501612B-BBFD-4CB9-A675-96DDE9623AC1.jpeg

Reactions: Tom

lionheartHC

OH
Greetings & Welcome.

Food & “over” feeding have nothing to do with pyramiding.

Pyramiding is caused by LACK of water, humidity & soaking.

Food = good
Water = good
Soaking Daily = good
Wet Substrate = good
Correct Temperatures = good
Heat & Lighting = good

Check out your local international market & pick up cactus pads! Your tort will love them. Good for hydration, lubrication and nutrition

Cactus Pads
View attachment 300275View attachment 300276
I actually just ordered quite a few cactus pads online! I plan to feed a few and propogate the others for future meals. :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I actually just ordered quite a few cactus pads online! I plan to feed a few and propogate the others for future meals. :)

Purchasing pads (imho) is actually a lot more efficient & In the long run, prob cheaper. Our international market has pads all year long. Fresh green pads. Ive started pads, but i feed so many in a week, my plants can’t keep up.

lionheartHC

OH
Purchasing pads (imho) is actually a lot more efficient & In the long run, prob cheaper. Our international market has pads all year long. Fresh green pads. Ive started pads, but i feed so many in a week, my plants can’t keep up.
Makes sense! I actually checked our international section and couldn't find any. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I now have my enclosure finished! Ambient temps sticking around 85F and humidity is always between 70% and 80%. Side note, he has a humid hide that stays at 100% humidity. Should I shoot for a constant 80% in the entire enclosure at all times or will 70% suffice? My question is how often should I be feeding him? If I put a handful of food in there, he'll eat during the day several times. Should I be letting him have one big feeding each day and then take away the food? I've read that overfeeding can be a factor in pyramiding so I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Diet is consisting of:
-Mazuri and wheat grass one day a week.
-Wheat grass, hibiscus leaves and dandelion 4 days a week.
-Salad mixed up of mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens and dandelion greens 2 days a week.
-I'm also giving a pinch of calcium twice a week and a pinch of flukers reptile vitamin once a week.

I know weeds are ideal but I unfortunately fertilized my yard in spring before I even considered getting a Sulcata. Next year we'll be good to go.

Along with diet, he gets soaked 30 minutes each morning and 30 minutes towards the end of the day. I'll also spray his shell a few times each day when I'm misting the enclosure. Any advice is appreciated!
Great info from Mark.

I want to add:
  • I don't think 70% humidity is enough is preventing pyramiding is your goal. Sounds like you have too much ventilation.
  • Fertilizer is no problem as long as its just fertilizer and not weed killer or pesticides mixed in. As in "weed n feed" types. Don't let your tortoise have direct access to fertilizer products but plants grown with fertilizers are fine to feed to your baby.
  • Feed the tortoise as much as it wants of the right foods daily. They are grazers. Let it graze.
  • Your diet sounds good. The opuntia pads will be a great addition, but also look for grape leaves, mulberry leaves, and add more variety from the store too: Arugula, endive and escarole, cilantro, etc...
Overall, it sounds like you are doing great.