How long did it take to get your tort to like you

DisTortoiseDoe

5 Year Member
Hello all, I've had Duncan now for maybe a month and a half to two months now and he still doesn't seem to like me in anyway. I do a lot for him, I take him out when it's hot for walks and such and let him roam my house. He really enjoys doing things and climbing and exploring but can't stand to be by me much. I like him a lot and I want him to like me back. He does let me feed him by hand (sometimes). How long did it take your guys's torts to finally settle down and be relaxed by you/like you?

---
My Russian tortoise, Duncan, is the biggest cutie patootie <3

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Still waiting....lol...just funnin ya..

There is no way to tell how long it takes for a critter to fall into routine...and in all reality, we are just waiting to become part of their routine...lol...not to worry, just remain the consistent one and your tort will eventually include you ....:p It takes a while for them to get us humans fully trained...

craftylikeafoxx

5 Year Member
I have 2, and they are both soooo different! My 1st, Tank, took forever to warm up to me. I swore she hated me for months. Izzy, my 2nd was awesome within a week..... And Tank took about 8 months to stop hating me, lol. And 6 years later she only likes me. They just have different personalities :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its a reptile. It will never "like" you or anybody else. The best you can hope for is for them to desensitize to a point where they aren't afraid of you, and then try to give them a positive association with you like through hand feeding for example. THe tortoise has no concept of you doing "nice" things for it.

And letting your tortoise run around loose on the floor is a recipe for disaster. It should be in a properly designed tortoise enclosure.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
the posts already on here got it.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

ashbelys

5 Year Member
No reason for such negativity. I don't think there's a need to get into an animals do/don't have feelings debate. If you don't have any positive input to give, please just don't respond.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
ashbelys said:
No reason for such negativity. I don't think there's a need to get into an animals do/don't have feelings debate. If you don't have any positive input to give, please just don't respond.

where is there negativity anywhere in this thread, apart from yours? the question was answered exactly how it shouldve been; respectfully, truthfully, and with facts. dont tell people when they should and should not respond (especially if theyre actually helping). no idea what youre reading.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I hav a female and a male. My female liked me on the second day we got her but it took my male a whole year to warm up to me

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Chill yer boots dude!! Tom you are obviously someone with a huge amount of knowledge one may even say a plethora of knowledge but the way you word things can lie a little on the corse side. I know it's just because you care, which is great maybe it's everyone else who needs to toughen up?! Maybe they should be sprinkling some calcium on their Cheetos!!! :) hahaha!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, I saw no negativity. In fact, I agree completely with what Tom said and see nothing wrong with how he worded it?!

Anyway, I don't have a Russian. But my boxie is quite alert and eager whenever I walk into the room. He/she is hoping for a strawberry or a nightcrawler. S/he is a bold little guy, has been like that since I got him/her at 7 months of age. But they all have different personalities.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep with the op's question. Nothing wrong with the truth. That should be what you want and came here for.
Some tortoises will never be as friendly or comfy with you as you may want. Just keep hand feeding, come on him from in front so he can see you, petting his shell, even carefully petting the top of his head and give it time. Some take longer then others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No negativity intended. My apologies if it was taken that way.

Perhaps it would help if those concerned looked up the definition of "anthropomorphism". Anthropomorphism isn't necessarily harmful to the animals concerned, but sometimes it can be. I was just trying to get the OP to understand that while sometimes our tortoises will come running to the "food god/goddess" and sometimes they will wedge under a leg for warmth or security, it does not mean they "like" you.

Not debating whether animals have feelings. They do. I'm saying tortoises don't have THIS feeling. Please remember that I train animals all day everyday and have done so professionally for more than 20 years. Wild animals don't come to me because they "like" me. They come to me because I have repeatedly demonstrated that I have something they want. It is my hope that understanding this concept will bring the OP the results they desire in regards to interaction with their tortoise.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I apologize. I was unaware of your extensive experience. When I read it, it seemed very sour in tone and I took it as you were just trying to ruin someone's day. That was my bad, I'm sorry.

Yashil Ghazi

5 Year Member
Ive noticed that my tort doesent so much like me, but I do feel that he tolerates me.

For example , he will look at me when I walk past his pen , but wont come towards me. But he doesn't retreat into his shell when I pick him up or handle him .

However , if I do mistakenly scare him into his shell ,ive noticed that by talking or whistling to him , he will be out in a few seconds. Strange considering that they are supposedly deaf...

I feel that reptiles , be it a tort or a beardie , are not loving animals. In my view they will not love their owner as much, as say a dog or cat. They at most tolerate us. But just because they don't ''love us'', does not mean that they are any less amazing to keep and care for.

Id still take a tort over any other animal...

May God bless all reptiles.

kaz311

5 Year Member
Now that this is a discussion it still takes me a while to get on a friendly basis with chica the bigger female she litterally is a wild caught tortoise who doesnt like animals or humans.While minion the smaller male does generally like humans cause he gets food he figures .... but he is a trouble maker and gets mad like today I think they are upset I dont have them in their usual outdoor enclosure due to the rain damage from it so cleaning it now but they look mad at me. I mean minion stares at me like im going to pay later for keeping me in this dog cage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TortForum mobile app

Look at how he looks at me and thats now

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1381592668200.jpg
    1381592668200.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 1381592891812.jpg
    1381592891812.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 106

ictteacher

5 Year Member
Every time I check this forum for information about caring for my tortoise I come across feeds like this. The person who started this feed asked a real question. I also have had thoughts about this from time to time. The manner in which other users respond to their query can be so cutting, Is there any need ??. I don't care if some of this community have be caring for tortoise for 50 years + treating other users with respect is the number one priority. If you can't asks questions on this site with out being cut down where else can you.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
ictteacher said:
Every time I check this forum for information about caring for my tortoise I come across feeds like this. The person who started this feed asked a real question. I also have had thoughts about this from time to time. The manner in which other users respond to their query can be so cutting, Is there any need ??. I don't care if some of this community have be caring for tortoise for 50 years + treating other users with respect is the number one priority. If you can't asks questions on this site with out being cut down where else can you.

Why are people so sensitive?
Tom wasn't disrespectful at all, he simply stated facts. if you don't want to hear the truth from knowledgeable people then why ask the question?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

This can happen and does happen....I hope, as in all other areas of life, you can see that some folks are sensitive, some are uber sensitive and then there are folks that kinda just say things as they rumble round in their head and have no no no intention of being offensive, but rather just relay what is in their head....

I sometimes forget that this is a world in which we are for some reason being adjusted to be "nice nice" all of the time...it is sometimes exhausting in itself... There are times here now on this Forum that I will simply try to avoid participating in a thread all together simply because I can see that "feelings" are now the subject and not content....

I am not saying that general courtesy is not warranted, but sometimes I am too damn grown to have to hold someone hand while patting them on the back throwing them warm fuzzy kisses....

I have some knowledge to share, if someone asks for that knowledge, I love to share it...but I will be damned if I am going to change who I am in order to do so.....;)

So get on with your bad selfs and I will take any new info, share any new and old info on any plate it is offered up on....come on folks, remember--thank goodness there are multiple personalities in this world.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ashbelys said:

Everyone's opinion here on the Forum has value. And everyone is entitled and allowed to express their opinion. I don't think the OP only wants positive responses. There is quite a bit of education when you get both sides of the story.