How many Earthworms?

xBapes

Location (City and/or State)
Cockeysville, MD
So I feed Iggy on an every other day schedule. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and I alternate between Saturdays and Sundays. He seems pretty rebellious as far as veggies and greens go. He absolutely loves kiwi. I did by some box turtle pellets to replace the greens/veggies for now. I figured I could crush them into a powder and feed them with his live worms. He gets night crawlers on Mondays and Fridays and large super works (calcium dusted) on Wednesday’s and the alternating days. The pellets have endive, escarole, dandelion greens, etc in them.

My main question is when I feed him his live worms more so the night crawlers, how many should I feed him at a time? I give him about 3-4 a day currently. He usually stays around 2-3 but sometimes he wants up to 4. As far as the super worm days I give him about 4-5.

Thanks guys/gals!

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Why are you feeding every other day ? In the wild they nibble every 10 min.

I feed him every other day because he’s not very interested in food everyday. He doesn’t just nibble every 10 minutes. He gets pieces of fruit on the in between days as a snack. He’s definitely not starving by any means. Though you can consider him a wild animal, he still has his own schedule and I think I’ve spent enough time with him to know when he wants to eat and when I’m just wasting food.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Allow him to get hungry enough to eat the other things not just the worms. If you feed him mostly worms, he is not going to eat the veggies and greens. my own turtles do not eat every day. They go a day or two and then want food. once he is eating veggies, then give a worm or two.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because my box turtles live outside in a pretty large yard, I figure they forage for food on the days I don't provide it. I've always used worms/night crawlers as a treat rather than a staple. I give each turtle only one night crawler. That ends up being three tubs of worms. A nice person recently sent me 100 wax worms. I've never fed them before. But because they're small, I'll give each turtle three or four each. (But ew-w-w-w!!!! they look like maggots!!!)

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Allow him to get hungry enough to eat the other things not just the worms. If you feed him mostly worms, he is not going to eat the veggies and greens. my own turtles do not eat every day. They go a day or two and then want food. once he is eating veggies, then give a worm or two.

Yeah I’ve tried that technique and countless variations of greens and veggies. He’s super stubborn. I literally have a child on my hand that refuses any kind of green or veggie. He hates any kind of squash, sweet potato, etc. I’ve tried all different kinds of greens like mustards, endive, escarole, etc. which is why I thought to crush the pellets up and use the powder to dust the worms. I figured it might get him the taste of something other than insect or fruit.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Because my box turtles live outside in a pretty large yard, I figure they forage for food on the days I don't provide it. I've always used worms/night crawlers as a treat rather than a staple. I give each turtle only one night crawler. That ends up being three tubs of worms. A nice person recently sent me 100 wax worms. I've never fed them before. But because they're small, I'll give each turtle three or four each. (But ew-w-w-w!!!! they look like maggots!!!)

I wish I could have an outside pen but living in my apartment I can’t. I live on the bottom floor and though I don’t think anyone would mess around or steal him I just don’t trust it. I live in an upper class area luckily. My patio is actually quite large enough for an outside enclosure. Then I have the landscapers who come close enjoy to my patio that they fling grass and other objects onto my patio when mowing so I’m also a little worried for his safety there.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Yeah I’ve tried that technique and countless variations of greens and veggies. He’s super stubborn. I literally have a child on my hand that refuses any kind of green or veggie. He hates any kind of squash, sweet potato, etc. I’ve tried all different kinds of greens like mustards, endive, escarole, etc. which is why I thought to crush the pellets up and use the powder to dust the worms. I figured it might get him the taste of something other than insect or fruit.

They are stubborn, which is why you have to wait it out, and not give in. They will train their owners.