how many hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
howdy,
How many of you geeks choose not to hibernate their Greeks? I read on chelonias.org that the"author " would not attempt to hibernate them at this present time.Does anyone do it? Thanks all

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Depends upon what "Greeks" you're referring to. For years now Northern Mediterranean Ibera and MiddleEastern and North African Gracea have all been lumped in under the "Greek" common name.

I know very little about MiddleEastern or North African Gracea. But I have kept and bred Northern Mediterranean Ibera "Greeks" for years and they do hibernate in the wild throughout most, if not all of their natural range, which is very widespread. I do hibernate mine. I have found that they're more eager to breed more readily in the spring when hibernated in the winter. I think it is an important part of what would be there natural seasonal cycle in the wild. It also gives me a break from daily care of so many animals for a few months.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I can't imagine my Ibera being "more eager". I do not hibernate them and I started getting eggs in Feb. this year and just put the last clutch (I think) in the incubator 2 weeks ago. :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have several sub species of "Greeks" Tg Gracea and mine do not hibernate. I'm with you CG I can't imagine mine "more eager", this has never been a problem for them no matter what time of year. They will hound the females if I do not seprate.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
CGKeith & Robyn -I'm in New York State, BIG difference in climate than Arizona or most of California! I can only dream of tortoises awake outdoors year round! It's cold here from early October through mid April.
My males often go through the motions of mating and "hound" the females relentlessly when I bring all of them in for the fall & winter but the females are never receptive. The males mount but they do not copulate. In the spring after hibernation it's a whole different story!

L Gebauer

5 Year Member
dreadyA said:
howdy,
How many of you geeks choose not to hibernate their Greeks? I read on chelonias.org that the"author " would not attempt to hibernate them at this present time.Does anyone do it? Thanks all

First reply posting so hope this is done properly. My 2 Greeks live indoors all year (they are taken outside when weather permits.) Per my vet, they are not hibernated since they're inside all the time.

LINDA, Pumpkin, and Nighty Nite

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
GBtortoises said:
CGKeith & Robyn -I'm in New York State, BIG difference in climate than Arizona or most of California! I can only dream of tortoises awake outdoors year round! It's cold here from early October through mid April.
My males often go through the motions of mating and "hound" the females relentlessly when I bring all of them in for the fall & winter but the females are never receptive. The males mount but they do not copulate. In the spring after hibernation it's a whole different story!
GB my Greeks are inside from about early Nov to mid March It does get too cold for them to stay outside during those months. Which would be their natural hibernation time. But if given the chance they do the deed and though not always but enough times the females are reseptive. :)

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Thanks all. I'm trying to gain info and opinions for the future!:p
Welcome L gebauer! Have you introduced your shelled one?

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
CGKeith said:
I can't imagine my Ibera being "more eager". I do not hibernate them and I started getting eggs in Feb. this year and just put the last clutch (I think) in the incubator 2 weeks ago. :)

Well, one of my goldens just beat them out and gave me more eggs today! I just might have some Christmas and New Year babies. :)

So much for hibernating. :)

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have 5 greeks of several sub species and i have never hibernated any of mine and its now mid november and they are still very active. Henri thinks its mating season..

Status
Not open for further replies.