How many is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akp022

5 Year Member
Since it's dandelion season and Aggie loves em I just thought I'd ask...how many dandelions are tortoises allowed to have a day? Aggie ate 4 big ones and his eyes were wide open and he was running into the walls and moving non-stop for almost 3 hours, then he slept for the next 24 hours (he's perfectly fine now...that was over the weekend). He's had dandelions before but only 2 at a time so I was wondering if this had anything to do with it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting question. I have never heard of a limit. I don't get enough of them in my yard to worry about my leopard eating too many of them. I wouldn't think there would be a limit, but will be interesting to see what others say.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I've got a female Russian named Lucy that develops pink urates when she has more than one or 2 dandelions. I try to give each of my russians 2 or 3 on each Wednesday and Sunday. They really focus on the flowers but also eat the leaves and stems.

All told they need a variety of different weeds and greens for best nutrition.

Good luck.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When you say you feed 2 or 4 does this mean flowers, leaves or complete plant?

I have tons of dandies and sometimes my leopard will eat 30 or more leaves in one sitting. (I'll pluck a bunch and feed it to him indoors) I have never seen any difference in anything on these days.

My Russians eat the flowers, my leopard does not.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've never worried about dandelions. I encourage the growth by spreading the seeds in my tortoises enclosures. For me, the key is variety. If you feed a broad spectrum of weeds and grasses, you should not have concerns,(providing the variety has no poisonous plants in it!).

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I feed the leaves along with salad bag leaves. Occasional flowers. The flowers are like tortoise crack!

akp022

5 Year Member
I pick everything for him to eat (as its still too cold for him to go out much and graze yet) and he tries hard to eat the stems and leaves but just spits them out...I'm not sure how he'd do if I mixed them in...so for now he will only eat the flowers even though the whole thing is available to him

Status
Not open for further replies.