How much do you trust your tortoise?

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
Today my tortoise burrowed in a fully sun-lit area of the yard. I didn’t know if that meant he was hot and was trying to cool off (it was only 64F / 17C), or if he wanted to feel the warmth while being covered. I worried about him overheating so I put him in his outdoor enclosure that has a well shaded area for him to sleep, but he became restless and wanted out again

Should I have left him alone? Do tortoises generally know what they need and can be left to do what they want, or did I make the right call? Sometimes I don’t know what to do in these situations. And I’m supposed to be a parent to a human child within the next 3 years!? I don’t know how some of you do it without being a complete helicopter parent 😆

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
They don't always know what they need. You do have to intervene sometimes.

What kind of tortoise do you have?

I think there is an instinct to dig. If it was that cool, I doubt he was hot. Did he actually get all the way underground? Charlie often flicks some dirt onto his back but I wouldn't say he was trying to dig a burrow. He is just getting comfortable. Back before he had a house, he dug a burrow, a very deep and long burrow. Now that he has a heated house and a summer house (for shade and the feeling of protection), he hasn't dug for years.

Does he have a place to soak?

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
They don't always know what they need. You do have to intervene sometimes.

What kind of tortoise do you have?

I think there is an instinct to dig. If it was that cool, I doubt he was hot. Did he actually get all the way underground? Charlie often flicks some dirt onto his back but I wouldn't say he was trying to dig a burrow. He is just getting comfortable. Back before he had a house, he dug a burrow, a very deep and long burrow. Now that he has a heated house and a summer house (for shade and the feeling of protection), he hasn't dug for years.

Does he have a place to soak?
Hermann’s. He dug enough where the top of his shell was just covered. Maybe he was just getting comfortable… since the sun was directly hitting his spot, I wonder if it could get too hot though? Who knows..

The other issue is we just got new yard mulch and I’m unsure of the materials. I’ve read things like cedar could be toxic to reptiles, so I didn’t want to take the chance. Not sure if this is even a real concern though. Would he know that he was dug into toxic materials? Am I being over concerned?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hermann’s. He dug enough where the top of his shell was just covered. Maybe he was just getting comfortable… since the sun was directly hitting his spot, I wonder if it could get too hot though? Who knows..

The other issue is we just got new yard mulch and I’m unsure of the materials. I’ve read things like cedar could be toxic to reptiles, so I didn’t want to take the chance. Not sure if this is even a real concern though. Would he know that he was dug into toxic materials? Am I being over concerned?
He wouldn't know it wasn't good for him. I think I remember someone's tortoise eating the blue foamy stuff they put on the pipes to keep them from getting damaged from a freeze.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At those temps he likely was trying to get warm. They need to bask under 95-100F so he was not likely going to be or get too hot. For the most part, they know what to do. As long as they have sun and shade they should be able to adjust themselves. They may need you to step in if they decide to stay outside at night when they should be in their hide. I have a leopard that seems to like the cooler weeds at night even when it's too cold for him to be out at night. That's when I step in and put him in the warm shed.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
At those temps he likely was trying to get warm. They need to bask under 95-100F so he was not likely going to be or get too hot. For the most part, they know what to do. As long as they have sun and shade they should be able to adjust themselves. They may need you to step in if they decide to stay outside at night when they should be in their hide. I have a leopard that seems to like the cooler weeds at night even when it's too cold for him to be out at night. That's when I step in and put him in the warm shed.
On some cold nights, Charlie will park himself in the darkest corner instead of going into his heated house. I think he chooses the corner because he thinks it provides some protection.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
On some cold nights, Charlie will park himself in the darkest corner instead of going into his heated house. I think he chooses the corner because he thinks it provides some protection.
My RF need to be locked inside the heated houses even in sub 50° nights or I'll find at least one of them parked right in the open enclosure.
Maybe it's because where they live in nature, it never gets that cold? I don't know.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think that sometimes their instinct tells them to stay put and not move any more from where they are even though it's too warm or too cool. Movement attracts predators? Just guessing.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think that sometimes their instinct tells them to stay put and not move any more from where they are even though it's too warm or too cool. Movement attracts predators? Just guessing.
Also I think sometimes they get too cold and it takes too much effort to move. I don't know how much they worry about predators since their main defense is their shell, at least once they get big.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Today my tortoise burrowed in a fully sun-lit area of the yard. I didn’t know if that meant he was hot and was trying to cool off (it was only 64F / 17C), or if he wanted to feel the warmth while being covered. I worried about him overheating so I put him in his outdoor enclosure that has a well shaded area for him to sleep, but he became restless and wanted out again

Should I have left him alone? Do tortoises generally know what they need and can be left to do what they want, or did I make the right call? Sometimes I don’t know what to do in these situations. And I’m supposed to be a parent to a human child within the next 3 years!? I don’t know how some of you do it without being a complete helicopter parent 😆
Burrowing is common and also gives them enrichment. I find it quite endearing. At some point in the day you may have to dig / lever them out to put them somewhere safe for overnight. HAve a look at the enclosure and check..... substrate, hides, shade and end to end vision, that should be blocked with something to encourage activity and exploring. Also check position of food ideally shaded. Water which should be available 24 x7 and replenished daily.

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
Burrowing is common and also gives them enrichment. I find it quite endearing. At some point in the day you may have to dig / lever them out to put them somewhere safe for overnight. HAve a look at the enclosure and check..... substrate, hides, shade and end to end vision, that should be blocked with something to encourage activity and exploring. Also check position of food ideally shaded. Water which should be available 24 x7 and replenished daily.
I like when they can burrow too. I know this isn’t going off much but does the mulch in my yard look safe for him to be burrowed in?

EE403889-FE9D-4B30-9226-786ABAC8F32B.jpeg