How much food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortugaturner

5 Year Member
I have a juv. Greek and was wondering how much should he eat? He ate mustard greens last week and now having kale and romaine greens this week. He had 4 slices of banana once this week. He is basking during day, goes into his log in evenings and eat all I give him when he wakes up. I give him about a handful of greens. Is that enough?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
A healthy tortoise will eat a tortoise-sized pile of greens every day. :) Those greens aren't squished together, mind you, so not a SOLID tortoise-sized pile. But definitely more than a hand-full. Depending of what time of day you feed, some people feed a larger amount, and let the tort have as much as they will eat in 20 mins. Since most of my torts were at some point of the 'rescue' variety and came with some eating issues, I let them eat over the course of the day, and I remove what they haven't eaten in the evenings when the lights turn out.

tortugaturner said:
I have a juv. Greek and was wondering how much should he eat? He ate mustard greens last week and now having kale and romaine greens this week. He had 4 slices of banana once this week. He is basking during day, goes into his log in evenings and eat all I give him when he wakes up. I give him about a handful of greens. Is that enough?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
And stay off the banana!

Greeks, in common with other Testudo, cannot digest sugars properly and it can make them very sick indeed.

Your tortoise needs to be on a leafy greens diet with an absolute minimum of sugary foods such as fruit, tomato and bell pepper. Banana is about the most sugary fruit you can get and is a definite no-no!

Status
Not open for further replies.