How much fruit can my tortoise have

Status
Not open for further replies.

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
Hi
My Greek tortoise loves his fruit so much I know you can't give them too much of it do how much per week can you give them and why can't you give them too much fruit ??
Thanks

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm bumping your thread. I don't own a greek, but these tortoises come from a steppe environment, which doesn't bear many of the common fruits you'd see in the grocery store. Thus they haven't evolved to digest all the excess sugars very well, leading to gastrointestinal upset and parasite blooms.

Hey greek owners, get in here and help me out! Is this correct?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't do it more than once a month. High sugar content can upset intestinal gut flora. The reason why they love fruit is because it is sweet, which is not the best for them. Ideally you would only feed them the cactus fruit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is sort of like candy and soft drinks for children. Is one bite going to harm them? No. What about 5 bites. Probably not. What if they eat 10 bites, but only every other day? At some point it will be come too much. Even one bite is occupying space in their stomach that could be occupied by something that is better for them. The question is, why? They like lots of other things too that are better for them. I seldom give fruit to any of mine. I just don't see the point.

I think it must also depend on the type of fruit. Strawberries, grapes and rasberries for example would be worse in my mind than a bell pepper. Both are technically fruit, but you can see the clear difference in nutritional content here.

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
How much cabbage should he eat I heard it should be fed sparingly why is this
Is it true
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.