How much of pellets?

pinnie

Location (City and/or State)
India
1000176192.jpg
Hello people...so here I have is two varieties...one is veg pellets and other Timothy hay pellets.
My question is how much should I add these in their main diet? If the main portion of food is size of their shells...how much percent can I add these pellets in?
Or do I give these only as treats?
My Star loves these pellets. When mixed with fresh greens...he chomps the pellets first and then goes on with other greens. But his fresh green intake has come down aftr introducing these pellets.
If hay and grasses should be the main diet for tortoises..then why is it not ok him having pellets more than fresh greens?
@Tom
@wellington

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 371606
Hello people...so here I have is two varieties...one is veg pellets and other Timothy hay pellets.
My question is how much should I add these in their main diet? If the main portion of food is size of their shells...how much percent can I add these pellets in?
Or do I give these only as treats?
My Star loves these pellets. When mixed with fresh greens...he chomps the pellets first and then goes on with other greens. But his fresh green intake has come down aftr introducing these pellets.
If hay and grasses should be the main diet for tortoises..then why is it not ok him having pellets more than fresh greens?
@Tom
@wellington
I've never heard of "veggie pellets" so can't speak to that. The hay pellets however, I use several times a week to add fiber. When soaked, they expand a lot, so a handful of dry pellets will make a tub of soaked pellets and that is enough for a five gallon bucket of tortoise greens.

I'm not really using the pellets as "food" per se, but more as a way to add fiber to grocery store greens.

For feeding one little star tortoise, I wouldn't think you'd need more than a few pellets per day, mixed with greens.

pinnie

India
Veg pellets..my guess ..is synonym to forest or grassland pellets that u get there...I ve sent a pic with ingredients. Hope it's clearly visible. And anywy, this is what was available in india.
Im already mixing Timothy pellets in his food..so decrease in diet is obvious? I feel he s not eating much ..but pooping regularly.

1000176214.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Veg pellets..my guess ..is synonym to forest or grassland pellets that u get there...I ve sent a pic with ingredients. Hope it's clearly visible. And anywy, this is what was available in india.
Im already mixing Timothy pellets in his food..so decrease in diet is obvious? I feel he s not eating much ..but pooping regularly.

View attachment 371607
I'd only use the veggie pellets one or twice a week. The Timothy pellets should be fine daily if they are soaked and mixed with greens.