How much should I grow for my tortoise?

FoggyStreets

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
New tortoise owner, adopted a 2-3 year old tortoise from a friend who is no longer interested in her. She's a russian tortoise and I named her Tirtouga.

I did some research before I took her in and learned they should mainly eat flowers. I'm totally up for growing that for her. I'm going to go to the store this weekend to get some seeds. On my list, I've currently got california poppies, mexican asters, balloon flowers, and geranium, if they have it. Geranium seems to be out of stock, though, according to the website.
Is this enough for the season for her or should I get more variety? I also ordered a thing of calcium supplement, I don't know if she'll need it all the time but I thought it couldn't hurt and I wanted to be sure I was giving her everything she needs.

I don't think she's a very picky eater. It's dandelion season here now, so I've been picking her some of those and feeding them to her and she seems to have no problem chowing down on them.
I've learned she's more of a fan of stems and leaves than petals, but she eats the petals too eventually.

Oh, and while I'm here - I've had her for around 2 weeks and I've soaked her once per week. Is that enough? She's again about 3 years old. She has a dish with water in it in her enclosure but just in case that wasn't enough for her I've been taking her out and soaking her myself. I'm supposed to do that, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes on the soaking.
The calcium only a small pinch twice a week.
They should be fed broad leaf weeds.
Please read our care sheet as most info out there on the web is wrong.

FoggyStreets

New Jersey
Yes on the soaking.
The calcium only a small pinch twice a week.
They should be fed broad leaf weeds.
Please read our care sheet as most info out there on the web is wrong.
Ohh, I see, thank you so much for the information.
I just went through a few threads on diet. Would you say that The Tortoise Table website is a good source I can use to check what she should and shouldn't eat?
And are flowers and broadleaf weeds good together for variety or just broadleaf weeds?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ohh, I see, thank you so much for the information.
I just went through a few threads on diet. Would you say that The Tortoise Table website is a good source I can use to check what she should and shouldn't eat?
And are flowers and broadleaf weeds good together for variety or just broadleaf weeds?
Yes that is a good site and yes flowers and weeds together as long as tortoise safe. As big a variety you can feed is good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
New tortoise owner, adopted a 2-3 year old tortoise from a friend who is no longer interested in her. She's a russian tortoise and I named her Tirtouga.

I did some research before I took her in and learned they should mainly eat flowers. I'm totally up for growing that for her. I'm going to go to the store this weekend to get some seeds. On my list, I've currently got california poppies, mexican asters, balloon flowers, and geranium, if they have it. Geranium seems to be out of stock, though, according to the website.
Is this enough for the season for her or should I get more variety? I also ordered a thing of calcium supplement, I don't know if she'll need it all the time but I thought it couldn't hurt and I wanted to be sure I was giving her everything she needs.

I don't think she's a very picky eater. It's dandelion season here now, so I've been picking her some of those and feeding them to her and she seems to have no problem chowing down on them.
I've learned she's more of a fan of stems and leaves than petals, but she eats the petals too eventually.

Oh, and while I'm here - I've had her for around 2 weeks and I've soaked her once per week. Is that enough? She's again about 3 years old. She has a dish with water in it in her enclosure but just in case that wasn't enough for her I've been taking her out and soaking her myself. I'm supposed to do that, right?
Hello and welcome. Start here, and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

The main diet should be a wide variety of broad leaf weeds. Flowers should only make up about 10% of the diet.

FoggyStreets

New Jersey

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Will read through that thread, thank you for showing me this Tom. Thanks for the info as well! Will only give her the dandelions as a treat from now on :)
NO! Don't stop the dandelions...dandelions are great food full of nutrition...while they are in season I feed daily...see...it makes for happy/healthy tortoises...100_7323.JPG100_7306.JPG

FoggyStreets

New Jersey

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh! Wonderful! I'll be sure to do the same then! She seems to really like them so that's good to hear :) You have really cute tortoises there!
you can also grow Rose of Sharon bushes...the leafs and flowers are another good source of nutrition and they hibernate thru the winter...lol100_0170.JPG
you can grow grapes...feed the leafs to the torts and the grapes to the box turtles..well, I do anyhow...lol100_0177.JPG
feeding tortoises can be loads of fun! This is what the bushes look like....all Spring and Summer100_8198.JPG

FoggyStreets

New Jersey
you can also grow Rose of Sharon bushes...the leafs and flowers are another good source of nutrition and they hibernate thru the winter...lolView attachment 356282
you can grow grapes...feed the leafs to the torts and the grapes to the box turtles..well, I do anyhow...lolView attachment 356283
feeding tortoises can be loads of fun! This is what the bushes look like....all Spring and SummerView attachment 356284
That looks lovely! Sounds like a fun project. Thank you for the suggestions!