How often do tortoises eat?

kierstar3

5 Year Member
So I have had this Russian gal for a few weeks. I put fresh salad in daily, spinach, chard, beet tops etc...she doesnt eat everyday so I end up throwing a lot away. I also have tort food that I offer occasionally to mix it up.
Now when I put the zucchini and carrots in she chowed down. She also really liked collard greens and regular.romaine
Is she just.being picky? Do they normally eat every day?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, they normally eat every day. Stop giving the stuff she really likes and make her eat a more varied diet. Then you can put a little of her fave back in. She is holding out, knowing you will give in and feed her faves.

Btw, they will eat several times a day. Put less in so your not throwing so much away. If she eats it all, give her a little more.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: How often do tortoises eat?

kierstar3 said:
So I have had this Russian gal for a few weeks. I put fresh salad in daily, spinach, chard, beet tops etc...she doesnt eat everyday so I end up throwing a lot away. I also have tort food that I offer occasionally to mix it up.
Now when I put the zucchini and carrots in she chowed down. She also really liked collard greens and regular.romaine
Is she just.being picky? Do they normally eat every day?

Spinach is not good to feed. Try to offer watercress .A better choice of food . Try getting more grasses and weeds in the diet . Its not only a better food choice but it's cheaper . It grows free all over . You can just add a little of the food he will not eat to his favorite foods slowly taking away the favorite foods . So you can get him eating a way better diet . Check out tortoisetable.uk you will find a list of good free food right in your backyard.