how often to soak?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My little zenna is 127g and thriving and gaining weight every week. I spray her about 5-10 times a day ad keep her enclosure humid, I was wondering if I should still dial her everyday day or if every other day was fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I soaked my leopard every day. I didn't start soaking him every other day until he reached a year old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At that size, if all is well, AND in that FL humidity, you should be able to get away with every other day. If you lived near me, I'd tell you to keep doing it every day for a while longer. It is very dry here.

leopard777

5 Year Member
i notice it will poop during a soak , i am guessing the warm water ease the bowel or stress from picking him up ?

also do you guys give your tort a good scrub during soaking ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Pooping during bathtime is entirely normal... and quite helpful from my point of view. It's easier to clean up the bath than the table :D It's not a stress reaction, just the effect of the water... a bit like you needing the bathroom if you hear running water ;)

I only scrub if there's an excess of mud/other unidentifiable muck on Joe and he's staying indoors; it really depends on how bad he smells! Otherwise I let him wallow, drink and poop.

If your tort lives entirely indoors daily soaking helps to prevent dehydration... it's generally much less humid indoors, especially if you have air conditioning or the central heating is on.

Tortoises can absorb water through their skin, they don't have to drink to stay hydrated, which is why we soak and don't rely on a drinking bowl in the enclosure.

Aretino

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Tortoises can absorb water through their skin, they don't have to drink to stay hydrated, which is why we soak and don't rely on a drinking bowl in the enclosure.

I provide Dinette with a "pool" consisting of an 8" glazed flowerpot saucer with a layer of aquarium gravel to provide traction and limit the depth of the water to about a half-inch. This is big enough for her to get comfortably in. The day begins when I fill the spa with fresh warm water and turn on the basking spot and UV light directly overhead. She generally gets in straightaway for a while, and returns to the pool during the day from time to time, as the basking spot keeps the water warm. She has room to bask in or out of the tub or go to a cooler part of the tub, a 24 x 44 under bed storage unit I found in an alley with a FREE sign on it. The water is changed or replenished through the day as needed. If she feels decadent, she can reach her food bowl without getting out of the pool. It's hard for a newbie to be sure, but I suspect she is drinking when she makes quick dips of her lower jaw just below the water level.

Status
Not open for further replies.